6.4 mpg what are you guys seeing

Rate this topic

That or worse, I'm being told that if they don't run ulsd the mileage can be off due to more frequent regens.

We have a lot of customers reading message boards and shying away from '08s due to mileages. I'm not sure what they're getting instead though.

Had a customer stop in with a whole mileage log, which work out to 8 mgp and over a grand in fuel, it was attached to the R.O. I'll see if I can get it on here for all to see.

Word to the wise.... The SuperDuty has no EPA fuel mileage rating.... This thing is a 6000 pound plus brick and anyone worried about fuel consumption has no business buying one.

The bad part.... if you are about to investigate a "poor fuel mileage concern".... the mere act of trying even one thing to improve fuel mileage is admitting that you think fuel mileage is poor... I now pronounce you man and wife... this simple act will have you marry this truck and the trucks of any friends that this person might possibly have.

I get the occasional fuel mileage complaint on most any platform.... I also have a convenient stretch of highway that I can use the IDS fuel consumption test on... A two way average of instant mileage at a given speed.... Almost always better than the EPA rating where applicable... There you go - thank you very much....

Be very, very careful of things you might "start".... someone, somewhere will have to "finish" it.

The worst thing that Ford could have ever put in these vehicles is the fuel mileage computer.... Nobody "hand figures" mileage any more... And nobody knows how to work the fuel mileage computer, either... recipe for disaster....

Me? I have a small metal jerry can... when it was new, I couldn't put 32 cents worth of gas in it.... now it holds five bucks worth of gas.... with room to spare.... I guess I'll have to fix that chain saw - it uses more and more gas every year....

Keep in mind Alex that our gallons are bigger than the U.S gallons. 4.546 litres vs. 3.9 litres. And what you are saying is about the same mileage all my customers are getting out here.

And Jim, I agree with you. So here is my tactic: I tell the customer that these things absolutely suck compared to my 7.3L (salt in the open wound of heavy financing and not being able to afford fuel) and I tell them I can check the fuel economy with my IDS. "BUT", If it is acceptable in my opinion it is one hour retail. And that's just the freekin way it is.

I never see them back after that complaining about fuel economy.

I don't know of anyone in my area who would address a fuel consumption issue, whether it be our current platform or all the way back to an '83 model. Majority of the time it is what it is. If the truck was used for it's intended purpose then mileage would never be an issue just part of the bottom line.

If I had the money I would by a '08 in a heartbeat eh.......maybe not the best term, but at any rate, then I would get a Big-Tex goose neck and I would work it til it laid down on me, fix it and keep going til it wouldn't go anymore. And I would pass those fuel bills right to my customers, or swallow it up in my overhead.

Here is a satisfied customer's (sarcasm implied) fuel log that was attached to an R.O.

Posted Image

Kinda fuzzy picture.

But we didn't send 'em packin' empty handed. Not one to let someone leave with an actual problem, all the basic stuff was checked over.

Brakes dragging? check.

Any crazy air deflectors in use? check.

ULSD being used? check.

Tires inflated properly? check.

Turbo making rated boost? check.

Dif gears 4.88 or lower? check.

Towing a 30,000lb camper with questionable rubber? uummmmm.

Oh well it seems they should invest in some cetane booster, I'm talkin' 'bout cases of the stuff.

Okay guy's I'm a little confused...My understanding was that a diesel was meant for torque and additional pulling power /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif If they want fuel mileage shouldn't they be looking to buy a Focus????? I personally haven't had any discussions with the customers about mileage but don't see many wo's with that concern. But then again when most of the trucks come in have trailers on the ass end loaded/overloaded, or on the hook D.O.A.

I know a lot of customers are confused. They should definetly be buying a Focus. But they buy a Super-Duty, thinking it is a passenger car. Of course they can't claim they have the biggest pecker if they buy a Focus.

If I am reading this sheet correctly, he got the following at least once on there.

He was definetly doing something right to get these numbers. Fuel quality (cetane) could be it, or no trailer etc.

I will also assume that this is a hot shot of some sort? Hooked to a trailer most of its life.

I did the avg from the numbers to the left. 9.56mpg. He only had a number stated on his log book that went into the single digits once. Something isn't right in his log book.

Yea, I stared at it for a while then gave up on it. I think this truck belongs to an older couple who drags a 5fth wheel all over the country. They have an '07 Edge with the same log going, it must be ok because they haven't complained about it. The only reason I saw this one is because they were in the owner's office for a while raising sand about it. They seem to be pretty anal (but maybe not so accurate) about tracking mileage.

Ever see someone top off a tank soooo many times before? They must have to pee every 2 hours.

I tell ya, when me and my wife retire, and we decide we want to see the country via traveling motor home style, then I'm buying an 18 wheeler and getting paid while we travel.

We have two customers with F-450's and 4.88 gears complaining about 7.5 mpg. We tell them tough shi*. You don't buy a 450 to go buy groceries you buy it to tow and they do one hell of a job doing it. I have a 2001 7.3 crew cab dually with 38,000 miles on it because I only drive it to tow or haul something. I drive my Bullitt or 500 all the other times.