fuse #74 blown

Rate this topic

Looks like this is probably going to become an updated procedure or part to take care of chafing problem under high pressure fuel pump cover.

Got my first broken 6.4l today with a crank no start. Had a gazillion codes stores and had blown fuse 74 in pdb. Hooked up short detector and unplugged jumper harness to pcv and vcv and short went away. Called Ford to confirm what I had read here and they told me about the statement I typed above.

Here's the kicker for me, it's my 1st 6.4 and it's a 550 with a boom over the cab. So I am doing the "hard way". I'll snap some photos tomorrow.

Got some photos:

Posted Image

This is the beast, it's dead in the water and the boom is driven off a pto on the trans.

This is the chaffe in the wiring for the high pressure fuel pump control valve.

Posted Image

Picture is very blurry, sorry.

And here is where it rubbed on the pump creating a dead short.

Posted Image

This is the view I was looking at for the better part of the day. An over the engine creeper came in handy, but pulling the cabs is a must for this job if possible.

Posted Image

Quote:
How was it getting the turbo out with the cab on?

A total bitch, esp after pulling cabs for less work when not needed on other powertrains.

Small hands are a plus, be a great job for Japanese techs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I had about 8 hours into (working slow as Christmas and reading the manual word for word).

As far as the boom goes, I talked to people in the shop and no body had any good ideas for the boom. Our shop is a converted Subaru dealer so the truck barely fits in my bay in the first place, there is a beacon bar that would have had to been removed also.

These things kinda started to add up and I could have lifted the cab probably 2 feet as it sits to at least get to the exhaust pipes easier, the real only reason for cab removal in the first place. But I did it with cab on, out of respect for my neighbors, and we have some trucks with box conversions with the shelf that sits right on the cab. This truck only has 4 grand on it and was a good gage as to what to expect in the future.

So with that said, how would you guys have moved that boom?

My dealership and I have a great understanding about these kind of trucks due my work load. I do not have the time to mess with crap like that. My workload and jobs are already too big as it is.

Here is my stand that is agreed upon in my dealership: Anything over the cab gets cut off with a torch by me and welded on by the owner and I don't care about the paint job, or they get in a proffesional welder to do it, or I go home and surf the web for a new job.

They have never disagreed with me on that either. Thank the good lord for that. We advise all our customers in our area when they are buying a cab and chasis unit "not to put anything over the freekin cab" if they don't want exessive down time.

I sure feel sorry for you on that one Brad.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got all the parts and got the truck back together. While letting it run in my bay the radiator side tank sprung a leak. I still drove it and performed the high pressure fuel test and everything worked as anticipated. So I wash my hands of it as I am leaving for the senior master cruise Monday.

When it came time to start the truck I used the old fuel pressure hose from our long dead WDS and hooked it to the shrader at the fuel cooler. It took 4 key cycles at the full 30 second interval to get steady fuel flowing! After that the truck started up first hit, stalled as the high pressure pump ran dry and then restarted after 10 seconds of crank time. Reminds me of the old IDI engines.

Here's two more pictures of a better view of the chaffe point, that circle area is nice and sharp.

Posted Image

Posted Image