Having a blast!

Rate this topic

Now that I've got your attention... I'm working on a 2008 F-450 pick-up. Under moderate to hard acceleration, at around 25 to 30 psi boost, it makes an awful high-pitched squeel/whistle noise from the right side of the engine compartment, that lasts for about a second... maybe 2. I've been able to produce the noise in the shop about 2 or 3 times (I have to load it up so severely, I fear for the transmission), and basically the sound is most evident from inside the right wheel well, and sounds like a 747 taking off. I imagine that I have a leaking exhaust manifold, but there is no soot anywhere (that I can see)... and smoke testing it doesn't show anything either. I've checked and tightened the CAC tubes to no avail. It also smokes (black) like an old hooker, which will likely require a DPF, but I think is a completely seperate issue. It's totally stock, and no codes (other than reaching the speed limiter). Any ideas?

I may be totally off base but... I have seen a high pitch noise on the big bore trucks only under a load, being a broken head bolt. It almost sounds like a CAC whistling, it's a bugger to find sometimes. With this engine being so new I guess anything could be possible.

You might try removing the air filter assy and oil fill tube to get more room to look. You probably need to hang in there while someone else recreates the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Update... it's all done now. Wasn't that bad a job. Had to remove the transmission (which is no real differnce from the 6.0, other than 2 extra TC nuts, and the cooler lines disconnect quite nicely at the bellhousing), removed the turbo down pipe, unbolted the EDOC from the bracket and removed the pipe. I was able to (perhaps against my better judgement) remove the bolts from turbo inlet with a good chrome socket and a wobble extension without removing the EDOC (as the WSM says). Keep in mind that if you have to do one of these, use a good socket, cause them bolts is TIGHT!! Torqing was a bit of a PITA due to limited room, but I managed nonetheless. No noise anymore. SLT was 6.3, not bad for 3 hours work on the first go... And the nice thing is the WSM lists all the nuts, bolts and gaskets needed to perform the repair.