BODY REMOVAL FROM 05 ' E350

Rate this topic

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME DIRECTIONS FOR BODY REMOVAL FOR THIS TRUCK?I HAVE TO REPLACE AN EGR COOLER AND THIS IS A PLAIN OLD CARGO VAN WITH NO SEATS.IT SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE QUITE EASY TO DO IT THIS WAY.THANKS IN ADVANCE.MY EMAIL IS teknoman09@charter.net

With the exception of the 2008 models, I have done all configurations of cab/body off diesel equipped vehicles. I strongly feel that the two Econolines I did were the easiest of them all. They were, fortunately, empty cargo vans and one was brand spanking new. I don't know why but it just went much smoother and may have been faster the second time around. The tech I just lost did the third Econoline body off for EGR/oil cooler repairs. He did okay with it but that one slowed us down with frozen body mount bolts AND the owner had the cargo area Rhino-lined. I had to use a hole saw to neatly cut around the bolt heads and peel off the rubber.

Posted Image

I think repairing a 6.0L in a van is the most aggravating thing and I will do anything to make doing so more tolerable if I can possibly help it. Therefore, I don't mind spending a couple of hours to lift the body.

I have done A LOT of EGR coolers on E-Series vehicles, and I have yet to see to need to lift the body on one. Even the last one I did where I replaced both EGR and oil coolers didn't go too bad. I find it easiest to remove the radiator/condensor/CAC AS ONE UNIT. Doing that alone, increases access that much more. If replacing only the EGR cooler, it can be removed WITHOUT removing the intake.

Well, I got my first oil cooler failure on an '04 E-450 cubevan that puked oil into the cooling sytem. Got it all apart. That rad is pretty stopped up. What is the procedure you guys use to flush out the system with again? I vaguely recall Cascade dishwasher tablets being mentioned at some point. With 70,000 kms., it's out of basic warranty, but still with DIT warranty. What labor ops. do you guys claim for this repair? 6642A at 7.0 hrs. and DO NOT use with 9456A or 9424A seems a little low to me. Can I use any 6005 labor ops. since it's not in for any driveability symptoms? The information I got was that the rad hose blew off. Something gives me this awful feeling I'm going to see this truck back for an engine failure in the not-too-distant future. Thanks in advance.

I had the luxury of doing 2 back to back, one oil cooler, and one oil/egr cooler. Was not all that bad, wouldnt ever think of pulling cab just for the coolers, thats just crazy

Yes, but I forgot to mention it had a bad injector in #5. Since the body came off fairly quick it was well worth it.