Computer decision

Rate this topic

My manager approached me and asked if i can get a laptop and he'll buy a VCM just for the truck shop. I dont have alot of money to spend on a computer so i was wondering what you guys are using and what you would rec. Memory/ram/speed wise. I know i want a intel duo, non vista computer. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

You can custom order what ever you want from Dell and make payments if you can't afford a whole lot up front. My Latitude works great. They also have a acidental death and dismemberment coverage for computers which is quite nice. But just about anything with XP Pro, minimum of 1gb processor and 512 mb/RAM will do. Might want to check Ebay.

CHECK EBAY. THERES A GUYS SELLING NEW IN BOX LAPTOPS CHEAP. WE HAVE 2 IDS SET UPS, ONE IS THE FULL ROTUNDA DEAL, THE OTHERS A HP OFF EBAY WITH A MAGIC TOUCH ADDON LAPTOP TOUCH SCREEN. TELL YOU THE TRUCH THE HP IS LARGER AND EASIER TO READ THAN THE TOUGH BOOK. PUT IT TOGETHER WITHOUT VCM FOR 900.00 :cheers-jeers: I GET LESS TESTMAN ERRORS WITH THAT DAM HP THAN THE TOUGHBOOK THEY ORDERED.

I have two laptops both run IDS flawlessly.

one is a 2.4 ghz Compaq with 1 gig ram

second is a 500 MHz old ass Toshiba with 256k ram I got for $free$ it runs IDS with no problems at all just a bit slower than the Compaq but it is reliable and truly an expendable computer so I use it more than any other in the shop if it was drooped, run over stolen, etc I wouldn't care.

you need pretty much any laptop with XP PRO and at least two(2) usb ports and a serial port if you want/need to use MD truck wit the IC4com.

I am currently using a Dell Latitude D600 with no problems at all other than an occasional Testman error that started with the last update. Ford thinks its due to a corrupted download which is quite possible due to my connection irregularity at work. I have always downloaded IDS updates at home and burned them on a disk and loaded them from that. I think I'll go back to that method. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I have a stupid fast cable connection at home. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have been searching online through all the companies and found Gateway has a tablet with a 14.1'' (all others are 12.1) screen and i can build a decent one for $1600 brand new. what do you guys think

C-140x model

1.66ghz intel core 2 duo

2048megs ram

80 gig harddrive

Hey Tony, thats a good find! I checked out the listing http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529666090.php and looked it over. If you take the unit listed it would be fine as is and subtracting the "extras" you can price it at $999.00! I also liked the Work In Case case that has a rebate making it free. The one thing I really like about the Toughbook is the rugged case but the Gateway case is a nice looking alternative. I have carried my laptop into vehicles and did not feel extremely comfortable doing so.

• 1 month later...