TSB 07-21-9

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

The other thread about EGR cleaning and TSB 06-19-6 has finally come full circle. This new TSB tells now that we are not to clean EGR valves. But, but, but what about the intake? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Quote:
This article supersedes TSB 06-19-6 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series vehicles equipped with a 6.0L engine may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: lack of power, surge, and malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0401, P0402, P0404, and/or P1335.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Follow normal Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) led diagnostics for the symptom or code identified. If normal diagnostics lead to EGR valve inspection and replacement or valve cleaning, replace it with a new EGR valve.

NOTE: NOTE: DO NOT CLEAN THE EGR VALVE.

ANd if you read between the lines it says...... "if coking is the cause of hte EGR failure, the appropriate coking TSB MUST be followed to find root cause." I have a feeling people will get burned if they dont follow that tedeous, lenghty, process by warranty auditers. Now if they paid us for this TSB im sure people will do it. ( maybe its WPI at our dealership )

I THOUGHT THEY DIDNT WANT U TO THROW PARTS AT ENGINES? KINDA TELLS YOU SOMETHING ABOUT THAT BOGUS EGR TEST,HA! PERFECT EXAMPLE OF GUYS IN THE FIELD KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT IN THE FIRST PLACE. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

... and the warranty nazis are at it again, cutting the times from 2.1 to 1.2. Gotta love it!!!I'm not even going to bother erasing DTCs or rerunning the IDS EGR test if they keep this up. Just a new EGR valve, and slam dunk, see you in the movies.

TELL U WHAT. I SEE A TREND WITH THA EGR TOO. HAS ANYBODY ELSE SEEN EGR ISSUES WITHOUT DTC'S? SEEMS MORE COMMON NOW LIKE THE ICP PROBLEMS.SOON WERE GOING TO SEE DONT EVEN RUN AIR TESTING,JUST REPLACE HP PUMP.WTF??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

• 4 weeks later...

This makes me think that there must have been a lot of repeat EGR concerns after cleaning the valve. I know I have been bitten a few times. That EGR test is not fool proof but at least its quick and it forces the tesing of the sensors and valve movement that I am sure a lot of guys are skipping or dont know how to test