Plastic Scrapers

Rate this topic

Have you ever tried the plastic razor blades offered on the net?.. Or, I know our local pet/aquarium supply sells an ABS plastic razor/scraper for aquarium glass cleaning and such with all different lenght handles and even stubbies.. All with changable replacement blades.. Good for removing mineral deposits and the like, so must be reasonably tough..

...........Rob........

Well I don't know what the ones shown in the service manual are or where we are supposed to get them. I wrote a note to the people at the RTTP web site and I got a reply telling me that the really had nothing like it. Go figure! But he did at least say that he was forwarding the note to Dearborn so maybe something will come of it eventually.

I did however find some plastic putty knives and something called a Refinishing Tool that is supposed to be used with paint and varnish removers. The knives have a pretty good edge on them and I might even be able to get them really sharp with some fine emery paper or crocus cloth. Since I paid about two bucks for all four I have nothing to lose! Oh, I found them at Lowe's home improvement center and I am sure that The Home Depot has the same items.

Plastic scrapers S U C K ! Posted Image What were they thinking?

You cannot remove caked on carbon and gasket material and varnish from steel with a freaking plastic scraper!!! I am now using spray-on combustion cleaner and Scotch Brite pads. Believe it or not the surface looks smoother than it was from the factory and no scratches.

Do any of you remember the finger bristle type(yellow in color) disc that Ford sent out to do the 3.8l front cover gasket recall? Works good here ,also. Plastic scrapers are a joke. Ford gets their panties in a bunch over surface prep, but notice they a always come out with a new GASKET to cure the issue. The original gaskets fom the factory leak, but I have never had a come-back after I had done the repair. This goes for the oil leaking 4.6/5.4 head gaskets,too.

• 1 month later...

Why not just use an actual plastic windshield scraper? They are available everywhere for $3.

Scotch-Brite pads have aluminum oxide in them, the shrapnel they leave behind can kill bearings if it gets into the oil.