Please share you opinion of the LCF

Rate this topic

I just had one in for the second time with a blown EGR cooler in less than 3k miles(4,800 Kilometers). So I did something I rarely do and used the carpet bombing approach to fix it this time EGR cooler, Oil cooler, ALL the O rings in the HP oil system, and just for good measure a STC fitting.

It's had 3 injectors, a round of o rings once before, a ICP sensor,and a water pump pulley explode all at different times with only 16k miles on it.

I'm hoping that it may make it till it's due for an oil change before breaking down again but it probably won't.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

We have a company with 4 and none of the 4 can seem to go 10K with breaking down and are currently negotiating for buyback.

I've heard through the grapevine that the other local Ford Medium truck dealer won't even consider taking an order for them anymore. Our Rep claims that "no other dealers anywhere are having any problems with LCF's just us" I don't believe it do you?

The rep was just out asking about the 4 going for buyback and I told the him what somebody here said "There like a bad case of herpes, I can't cure them only treat them until the flare up" Anybody got any else to add??

Well, I think my dealer sold a dozen or so and there are a couple from other dealers that have come to me for some reason. I haven't had too many problems or at the very least, any one truck that is problematic. Lets see if I can remember what I HAVE seen above and beyond the recalls:

4 A/C compressors/clutches that were seized

2 EGR coolers

2 injector inlet o-ring failures

1 injector spool valve nut lost in the pan (recovered) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whew.gif

1 IPR harness failure due to corrosion (not recalled)

1 chafed main harness

2 wheel speed sensors

1 leaking windshield

and a handful of stupid stuff caused by the customers or body installers. Sitting here thinking about this I realize it has been 3 or 4 months since I have seen an LCF!

We sell them like crazy... and promote them just the same.

Lets see... one run away engine... one failed oil cooler that ended up getting an engine... probably close to 10 A/C compressors, countless HP oil leaks at the d-rings... 2 hydro-boost leaks (on to the drivers feet)... a few injectors, 0 EGR valves or coolers, lots of door speakers, one rear hub seal... and a tonne of retail maintenance.

I personally think they are excellent trucks, they manouver great, a little rough in the ride... but, all in all... they only thing they are missing, is a V8 if you ask me.

I certainly don't know as much about these trucks as you guys do, but I've a soft spot for them since they were released. I think it was Ford's biggest mistake this century to cancel the deal and not put the 275 in a F150 through F350. This engine (to me) is a pleasure to drive and a great city truck. Someday I'll do a repower of a vehicle just for "funzies". If it were right now I'd put the 275 motor in a SUV.

The whole rest of the world uses between 30-50% diesel powered cars, and even higher percentages of light trucks and SUV's. It saddens me that our country, the cradle of transportation, doesn't see the light....... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

Our dealer won't sell them because they are not 4 wheel drive. I have never seen one in person.

Diesel here is $3.45 a gallon today, I wouldn't buy diesel power unless I was working the 'ol girl.

Diesel here is $3.45 a gallon today, I wouldn't buy diesel power unless I was working the 'ol girl.

As it works out, diesel in Canada is over $4 U.S. per gallon... so remember, it could be worse.

I personally think they are excellent trucks, they manouver great, a little rough in the ride... but, all in all... they only thing they are missing, is a V8 if you ask me.

Please don't take my post wrong I to personally think the LCF is a good truck and for the most part I like them.

I do have to take a rare stance and disagree with Bruce on this one I think the 275 will be the lynch pin for the LCF's demise.

It's a great concept just poorly executed it has all the problems of the 6.0L and a few unique to it's self and has proved to me to be very unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...

They are still in production. In fact, you will need to download and install the latest version of MD truck to access some of the modules on the 2008's. My dealer only had a couple 2007's that were specially ordered because the first dozen or so trucks (2005 & 2006) took a long time to sell.