EGR Problems?

Rate this topic

I have an F550 with a repeat EGR valve failure in 900 miles. The pinpoint tests were straight forward and I couldn't command the valve to move. I decided to pick up the phone and call the fellas at the Hotline. Supposedly they have some reports of DOC failures - told me to check for a whitish powder. Also, the possibility of an EGR cooler going bad was mentioned. I thought this style of EGR valve was supposed to be more robust. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif I think there is more to this truck than its letting me see.

i agree keith! i have an 08 built in feb and it has a slight fuel knock in the 2100 rpm range.no dtc's passed high pressure fuel test with flying colors.contact hotline and tell them my shrt term fuel for number 2 is +7 when others are -2,0,etc and they instructed me toi check for a backlash uissue with the hp pump and the knock could be the lash issue,ahahahaha. gotta love it. i anticipated better for the 6.4 too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

I guess that is where. If the DOC breaks up the chunks wont pass through the cooler so as it bounces around it probably gets pulverized into powder. I saw some whiteness around the outside of the valve but I attributed that to condensation and aluminum. The coolant level was not low so I didn't have any reason to keep digging. If it comes back I'm going to ask what THEY want me to replace.