Quote:
WATER IN THE FUEL TANK BEHIND REAR AXLE— TSB 07-24-4
6.4L, 6.0L, AND 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE

FORD: 1999-2008 F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 07-3-12 to update the
vehicle model years.

ISSUE
Some 1999-2008 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L,
6.0L, or 7.3L diesel engine and a 40-gallon (151.4L)
fuel tank behind the rear axle, may exhibit water in
the fuel tank. This is due to snow and ice
accumulating around the mushroom vent cap,
melting, and being pulled into the tank through the
mushroom cap.

ACTION
Replace the mushroom cap with a vent line
assembly kit. Procedure.

I was wondering if this might also reduce the amount of dirt that gets into the aft-axle fuel tanks of trucks operating in dirty environments. The original vent sits in a recessed area on top if the tank where dirt accumulates and could be drawn in somehow. Any thoughts?

My only thought is, how many years have to go by before Ford decides to simply install the kit on each vehicle at the factory to fix a known concern appearing in the field? Almost 10 years of coverage on this TSB. Good lord! We still get oil field rigs in that the fuel tank looks like a crushed in pop can from the vacuum build-up. Anytime we can, due to a repair or easy access we add the kit components to these rigs. Ford not adding the kit at the factory ends up with higher warranty numbers at the dealer end and we take the flack. Not good.

We see something similar to Gary.... in our case, few caved in tanks but lots and lots of water in the tank.

I do have to congratulate Ma Ford though.... they have the balls to charge over $40 CAD for about a foot of hose, a plastic cap and a zip tie.....

It's about freakin time they updated that TSB. Three months ago, I did a fifteen thousand dollar repair on an 08' that injested water through the rear tank and had taken out the whole injection system. After one month of arguing with engineers that it is a problem Ford has had since 1999 and threatening to give the customer a copy of the old TSB to take to court, they finally paid the bill. And now we have recognition.

However, don't you think they should just fix the problem properly right at the assembly line? It is an emission related component that is Ford's responsibility. The TSB is like shutting the barn door after they have left the horses out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a rash of these over the last year. Since this thread came about I remembered to photograph the most recent truck I worked on and threw together an article to view and share with anyone needing convincing.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-07-07.php

• 3 weeks later...

Keith nice article and the pictures are shocking I had one of these not too long ago that had rust and dirt in the tank with crap piled all around the vent too but I didnt look in the tank good enough to see if it looks like the pictures

• 3 months later...

This should not be a TSB but a recall!! I have 2 trucks with 6.4's in the shop right now with water in fuel due to this vent. They are now waiting for high pressure pumps, lines, rails, fuel coolers and 8 injectors. 1 truck has 3000 km's on it, the other has 48,000 km's.