6.0 E-van compression test

Rate this topic

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any tricks to complete a compression test in-chassis on this Econoline? I don't work on alot of vans here, so

any tips you can share would be much appreciated. Thanx in advance. Bill

Thanx for the input Tony. I should have qualified the testing I have already completed. Crankcase was overfull (approx 27 litres)

Relative compression flags Cyl 1 = 10%; Cyl 3 = 8%; Cyl 4 = 11%; Cyl 8 = 2%. Power balance test indicates dead miss on Cyl 3. I have never had the opportunity to perform a manual compression test on an E-van before. I'm considering lifting the body to facilitate the manual compression test and forthcoming teardown of engine to verifiy base engine concern. How easy is it to remove glow plugs on these Econolines?

Bill

Any thing is possible with a torch and a four foot hole saw, Bill. Hee Hee. Good luck, They suck SH!T! Sorry dude, I feel for ya. Just thinking about it makes me think I will start drinking for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

However, any engine I have ever done on one of these made me lift the body off. Even on an ambulace with a cube body. I wouldn't even consider any other way. May the force be with you and cheers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Any thing is possible with a torch and a four foot hole saw, Bill. Hee Hee. Good luck, They suck SH!T! Sorry dude, I feel for ya. Just thinking about it makes me think I will start drinking for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

However, any engine I have ever done on one of these made me lift the body off. Even on an ambulace with a cube body. I wouldn't even consider any other way. May the force be with you and cheers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

You lifted the body on an ambulance?

What type of ambulance? I have also have done engine work on E van and thought about lifting the body, it did not look like a winning idea, no easy way out with all the additional stuff. No body lift here.

Success!!!! We have lift off. Only one front body mount bolt gave me grief and got the gas axe remedy. Not as bad a job as I first thought it would be. Have done quite a few Superduty cab lifts without too many problems. Only real pain on this E-van was removing the seats and anchor plates to access body bolts. Once body was in the air the compression test only took 20 minutes. Have 0 compression on cylinder 3. Will try and post some pics tomorrow.

It seems to me that even lifting a cube body that was attached would be a pain in the(one Keith's bad words). The body companys don't attach the bodies permanent but have a lot of silicone sealing them. As for a ambulance I don't know but has to be even worse I would emagine. Seems to be more weight than would be viable. Could be wrong but.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Dwayne and I worked at the same dealer when he lifted the mod-bodied ambulance. IIRC this unit was being delivered to it's new owners and was towed in to our dealer. I recall the actual lifting of the cube body was relatively easy. The only real concern I beleive was the wiring harness that fed power to the rear unit. Correct me if I'm wrong Dwayne.

Even the rear harness wasn't a concern once I lifted the body. The whole ordeal was a piece of cake. All the bolts were in easy spots to get too, So up up and away she went. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Not many techs get to raise Econoline bodies. This because many are filled with crap or the body bolts are simply not accessible. Many are buses, ambulances or campers. I have had the pleasure of two myself and assisted with a third. I actually think a van is easier than the Super Duties are. The only catch I experienced was the body bolts needed heating to make them loosen and come out.

I agree. Most of the econolines I work on are filled with customer installed shelves, crap, heavy tools. I would probably have to empty out the back of these trucks and then remove the plywood and shelves that are screwed to the body.

Not many techs get to raise Econoline bodies. This because many are filled with crap or the body bolts are simply not accessible. Many are buses, ambulances or campers. I have had the pleasure of two myself and assisted with a third. I actually think a van is easier than the Super Duties are. The only catch I experienced was the body bolts needed heating to make them loosen and come out.

I agree completely! I've only done one body-off on a 6.0 Van (for a branch tube) and it was surprisingly simple when compared to the F-series. It still took me longer because of the learning curve, but if I had the opportunity to do a couple of them in a 2 week span, it'd be cake.

And I needed to heat 5 of the mount nuts to get them loose too. The frontmost ones *really* were uncooperative but I found that you can just grab the rubber mount with some large channel-locks and blast the bolt out that way.

Even so, with all the extra time it took me to double check/triple check everything and make sure I wasn't gonna break anything when seperating the body, I still beat the labor time by a good half-day. And I'm not a haul-ass kinda tech either, I prefer working comfortably instead of fast.

I'd seriously recommend E-van body removal WHENEVER possible, if it comes down to serious engine repair/removal.

Dave

A late response I realize, but food for thought. I don't know if you guys have a high amp probe for your VMM, but you can also do an electronic compression test in a matter of seconds with a high amp clamp and a scope. Here's a known good capture from a 2005 DT466.

Posted Image

You want to see the humps about the same, as they represent each compression stroke. You can sync another channel off an injector feed or the CMP/CKP to identify which cylinder is giving you grief. Not as dead accurate as a mechanical compression gauge, but is almost as fast as the IDS to set up and can back up your IDS results if you're in doubt. (Personally, the IDS has always been dead on if you ask me)

Here's the amp clamp I use, it should work fine with the IDS/VMM. These guys are great with tech support, also, I know them well.

http://www.pc-oscilloscopes.com/product_info.php/cPath/32_66/products_id/65

Good Luck!

Progress report: Removed RH cyl. head and found severely melted piston and damaged cylinder wall. Piston had a hole right through the center of the bowl. All other cylinders are perfectly ok. Received reman longblock this morning and am in the process of reassembling the top end. Have some pics but no time to download right now.

Keith, I too had to heat up all the body mount nuts to remove the bolts. Seems that they used some type of Loctite on all the body bolts.

Keith, I too had to heat up all the body mount nuts to remove the bolts. Seems that they used some type of Loctite on all the body bolts.

They come right out after warming up! This works on 2008 Super Duty cab bolts too gents! The key is to warm them up and be patient enough to allow the heat to travel to the threaded end of the bolts and soften the loc-tite. With the Econoline you are heating the nut ends and it works quicker. I had a helper inside the van with an impact wrench while I got things hearted up underneath. Now I know how to make a pain in the ass job go smoothly and quickly.