07m08

Rate this topic

Joey Kaylor

can i have some info on the 3v injector recall? i have done two for customers so far, and would like to see what ford's stance on reimbursement is gonna be. most likely they will say i did it wrong and deny it......

it aint showing up in ALLDATA yet, and i would like to get the paperwork going for my customers if possible.

thanks!

Your customers need to present the original reciept along with thier recall notice to thier Ford dealer. The following quote from the recall outlines the requirements:

Quote:
  • Ford Motor Company will only refund owner-paid repairs covered by this program if the repair was performed prior to the date of the Customer Notification Letter (or after the date of the letter if an emergency repair was made away from the servicing dealer), provided the repair occurred within the 11year/120,000 mile guidelines. Refund claims that include other noncoveredb repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive, will not be accepted for reimbursement.

• The refund period for repairs performed prior to the date of the Customer Notification Letter will expire on June 30, 2008. After June 30, 2008, only emergency repairs are eligible for

reimbursement.

That is one of the side effects of the modern World and the advent of the Internet - information travels faster than it can be controlled. Most owners now hear about recalls and such through the INTERNET or the media. Remember the Firestone tire recall? It was released to the media before Ford released the information to the dealers. I remember my dealer's service department got slammed with telephone calls on a Monday morning and we knew NOTHING about it.

I am sure that your customers will receive their owner letters if their vehicles are included in the recall. What they need to do is be a little less impatient. The sky is not falling. At the very least they should stop bugging you. Simply advise them to contact their local Ford dealer who should be able to answer any questions and assist them.

One other side effect of the modern world that even Ford doesn't consider.... junk mail... How many people might just cast a letter from Ford aside as just another unwanted intrusion into the mailbox?

You can beat some people over the head with a piece of information.... and they will refuse to acknowledge it...

Much can depend on the "paper trail", too. In late 93, I purchased a lease return F150 directly from the lessee.... Six or seven years later, I got a recall notice for the fuel pressure regulator recall.

Similarly, I got the customer satisfaction letter regarding the DPFE on my 02 SuperCrew... also a lease return....

However... the "chain" can be broken if a vehicle is purchased from a non-Ford car lot or in a private sale. In these cases, Ford can only work with the info that they have....

And that leaves us with several "bottom lines".... As a Ford store, I "should" run OASIS on everything that comes through the door... Sadly, I don't always do what I say (something to do with only 24 hours in a day or something silly like that).... A lot of times, I can find an open recall.... and there's going to be a (usually easy) .3 or more that might even tie in with what you're doing.

An independant shop needs to subscribe to whatever documentation and/or training to allow them to effectively service their customers needs. Used properly and conscientiously, the independant can use that info to impress his customer. iATN.... the number of times some bozo has 6 or 8 hours of diag time in to a job.... only to realize that his efforts are covered under a TSB (that only pays a fraction of what he has in to the job), an FSA or the damned thing still has warranty.

Finally, some of the onus has to fall on the shoulders of the owner.... Folks need to stop looking in the driveway and seeing "old Betsy". That friggin' thing sitting there is a MACHINE... that's all it's ever been and that's all it's going to be. At the same time, it is their best friend and their worst enemy... They should become a little less involved with "driving" it and a little more involved in "owning" it...

All mainstream manufacturers have "web presence"... Here, we can register newly purchased products... and, in Fords case, we can even register our used purchases.... (IIRC, "myford.com") and re-establish the chain of communication.

The modern world has people trying desparately to abdicate their responsibilities at a time when concentrating on them may be a better approach.

But then, I can make anything "complicated".... And that, Joey... is probably a whole lot more than you asked for. But it's a complex world and I'm not sure there are many simple questions left...

The '05 MY is the only one with the injector issue. I've never seen any other years display the problem. Aparently, Ford switched vendors/manufacturers after the '04 MY and you can guess what happened then..

...yeah, that ESST kit is a joke though.

Basically, it's a recall that covers the failed injector, and only the failed injector, as well as any other parts that the injector failure had an effect on (i.e. short blocks due to bent rods, blown out cats, so on...)

The GREAT thing about this is that, even though the injectors are $40 a pop, you still are only replacing one out of a set of 8 that are potentially hazardous to the engine. So you can replace a #3 injector and a short block for a bent #3 rod, only to ve it come back a week later with a #6 stuck injector and another bent rod. We had one scare like that before, about 6 months after I did a short block in an '05 for the #7 injector wiping out a rod. It came back in recently with the #2 injector stuck, but fortunately didn't do any real damage.

...and back to the 126 report thing - the reason we don't "update" the other potentially hazardous injectors, is because it will raise our numbers.

Dave