oasis makes me look smart

Rate this topic

Definetly one of the best tools in my arsenal.

One example, truck came in Friday with no pedal response ('02 F-550 7.3L) tech found the pedal to be bad and replaced it. Truck came back Monday with same symptom, owner said the fix lasted about an hour. Original tech has the day off and I get the truck. Check it over and it has another bad pedal...uh /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Just for shits and giggles I decide to run oasis and I put the codes I pulled into the symptom area. It comes back with a message for all the codes I have saying it could be a chaffe problem at the left front shock tower. I go to that area and low and behold the signal return wire for the pedal is rubbed right thru. Fixed her all up and she was good to go. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Brad... I'm trying to get the guys to run OASIS on everything.... multiple times, if necessary and with any and all symptoms. There are some TSBs and SSMs for some really off the wall stuff... And any of them could generate more cash flow or more productivity for the tech if used wisely.

Let's not forget the open recalls we can find.... easy money for many of them...

The one that get's me.... a tech is three point four in to a diag and discovers a TSB that reduces the job to a .3 no brainer....

There just isn't any reason for not using these kinds of resources to the max...

Keep up the good work...

I preach it day in and day out to my young apprentices, always check OASIS. I also preach the number one rule I learnt in college as an apprentice by my ex military instructor: R.T.F.B (read the f@ckin book). I have slightly modified R.T.F.B to R.T.F.C. now (read the f@ckin computer). It always has the most up to date versions of specs and procedures. My young Diesel Gynaecologist in training is doing quite well with it.

I had to use oasis and the manual because there is nobody for me to ask which is good because I learn a lot from reading and find out about good fixes and TSBs. Some guys say it takes too much time but I say doing the job over takes longer. holding my own thank you!

I have had a laptop computer in a cabinet with a docking station by the side of my tool box for several years now. I bought a VCM earlier this year as did 5 other guys in our shop. I don't know how the techs today would be able to do their jobs efficiently without their own computer's in there bays. The shop actually bought all 5 of the VCMs and did a payroll deduction for us until they are payed off. They also said they would update the software for us, FREE, when the time come around to do so.

Yeah, OASIS makes me look smart and staying up to date with the broadcast messages too. Somebody will say they have this problem and I'll say yeah there is a TSB for that even though I've never seen it before. But sometimes it makes me stupid because it seems like there is a TSB or SSM for every concern and I never have to do actual diag. Our dealer is great as far computers go. It was tough at first to get them to go along with it, but now we have a computer in every stall, wireless, and 4 IDS's with VMM's.

I have had my own laptop/IDS that I keep in my locker cabinet for two and a half years now. And alot like Jay-D I don't have anyone in my shop to turn to but all the resources in front of my face when I am in front of my laptop. It truly is the most valuable tool I have. Between online service publications, OASIS, Tech Hotline, and common sense, I hold my own as well. Keep up the good work Jay-D. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/fouet3.gif

Food for thought....

"OASIS Quick Start"..... No shame in not knowing this.... A simple show of hands and we can open up a wonderful thing. I use it all the time, now...

Even deeper.... tell me about TIS.... It's coming, I'm told, on Jan 2nd...

Broadcast messages... I read 'em every day.... I pray for memory jogs....

"I dunno.... didja check OASIS?".... this is the sound you will most likely hear from my lips.... This is a knee jerk reaction to almost any question..... "is it snowing out?" <insert answer> "can I borrow????" <insert answer>..... If my loving bride were to ask "are you feeling frisky tonight?"... I would probably answer..... ayup (but not before checking OASIS).

Who knows where to find SVBs? TIS is covered in an SVB.... SVB2007-62N if I remember right.....

Powerstroke Central - job aids - WBTs - Tech Time ... how many guys have a real good handle on this stuff? I'm not here to embarrass anyone... Like I tell "my" techs.... My main job is to give you the opportunity to be the best that you can ever be...

Disclaimers.... I'm a grade 8 dropout..... I'm far from perfect .... my best qualities are desire and wits (well... that and I'm extremely good looking... ask me, I'll tell you...). And I make more than most university grads.... I don't do flushes and I don't cheat my customers.

I have my own laptop at work.... nowhere near as useful a I thought it would be... but still an asset.... But we ARE top-heavy in scan tools compared to a lot of shops.

We use the Toughbook for our IDSs (two) and have turned on the wireless connections (BONUS!!!).

If I've mentioned something anyone doesn't know about, it's not a bad thing... but here's your chance to find out... and look GOOD!!