07S57 parts return policy

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

A little heads up on this one, I asked my parts guy if he wanted the old part back and he said no because it was a safety recall.

Well my parts manager just came around wanting all the cam sensors I had replaced. He said Ford is calling for them and wants me to return all the old ones I do directly to him or his office if he is out.

Larry they are kicking back anything they can and if you don't follow the procedure it is your own fault. Cant say I blame them and the parts return policy is nothing new to anyone. I return everything and let my parts department decide what to scrap or to hold. We even have a system that validates returned parts which protects the parts dept. and the technician should a part become "lost." I bring a part back to the counter, the RO# and date is written on the part/bag/box and the RO gets a "Returned" stamp which the parts counter person stamps and dates. This works well in keeping everyone on the ball so to speak. If the claim bounces because a part is not returned, the appropriate department eats it.

Yeah we had the same thing but we would have our warranty retention bins in a 40 ft trailer and have each bin designated by the last # of the w/o. We would hold them for 60 days before purging them if the part was not requested back. This amount of time helped us just in case a claim was rejected for any reason and had to be resubmitted at a later date.

Quote:
the parts return policy is nothing new to anyone

I've worked at a Ford dealer for 18 years and got the same reply from parts everytime about safety recalls. They would actually get testy with me for asking saying they don't want the parts tieing up their space. So I would chuck 'em.

Now it's come back to bite the parts department!

Basically the reason I posted this info is because it may indeed be new to some parts folks, and hopefully you guys can prevent problems if they say they don't want them back.

Basically the reason I posted this info is because it may indeed be new to some parts folks, and hopefully you guys can prevent problems if they say they don't want them back.

Good point. Remember the EBP sensor recall? We threw ours into a bucket and collected them. If any were needed we still had them and come to think of it, I still do! I was thinking of putting them in a jar and having a contest, you know, like "guess how many jelly beans are in the jar?" This would be the same but with the sensors. I could try it this year and have a contest to win a prize.

Parts told me today to bring back the sensors because Ford was calling them back which is strange for a safety recall. They might just want to get some of the sensors to test since they haven't seen any of these sensors in quite awhile.

If you guys supply me with a barrel of Old #7, I'll gladly see that it get's emptied /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

We leave the same kind of paper trail that many do... Old parts are tagged and returned and the RO is stamped and initialled. If the partsmonger wants the old part to "disappear", I still want the RO stamped and initialled.

I have a lot of younger faces in the shop.... Even though I keep after them, we are often side-stepping stuff that should be in the warranty return bins. Nothing quite so strange as watching these kids walk past a garbage can so they can drop stuff on the floor - but that's a whole 'nother topic..

Quote:
If you guys supply me with a barrel of Old #7, I'll gladly see that it get's emptied

Actually Jim I have a old empty one in my garage, it's on the list of projects for me. I,m going to make hi-top table with it for my rec. room. No can't have it.