Fuel in coolant revisited

Rate this topic

I arrived at work after an extended Christmas liver-bashing to find not one, or two, or three... but four 6.0s with fuel in the coolant. All of them arrived within a week and a half. And, on top of that, we've had about 3 6.0s and 2 7.3s in the past few months prior to this rush with the same issues. Does anyone else notice a trend like this at your house?

We had two of these come though our shop last year. There were apparently a lot of cases of cylinder heads cracking. I remember somebody mentioning right side heads were a problem... but the heads themselves are not bank specific so I wonder about the validity of that. Since you really cant test them effectively we were advised both times to do both heads.

We had two of these come though our shop last year. There were apparently a lot of cases of cylinder heads cracking. I remember somebody mentioning right side heads were a problem... but the heads themselves are not bank specific so I wonder about the validity of that. Since you really cant test them effectively we were advised both times to do both heads.

Out of the hundreds of sets of head gaskets I have done, I always find that the R.H. head the worst for blowing the gaskets and for warpage. Just did one yesterday and had to replace R,H head. I believe it has something to do with more heat on that bank due to EGR flow but can't really prove anything. This heat issue may be what contributes to the cup issues as well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Quote:
This heat issue may be what contributes to the cup issues as well.

Unlike a 7.3L, the injector cups in a 6.0L are below the lower fuel o-ring on the injector and are not an issue. If you have fuel leaking into the coolant in a 6.0L there is a crack in the cylinder head... that is if you were linking the cups to fuel in the coolant.

I agree. I was running stupid today and trying to get in a quick reply without thinking about what I was really saying or typing. But my point was that the heat on the R.H bank seems to be greater than the L.H. bank.

Looking at Bruces cut-away, you can see that the "double trouble" issue would have to be present... If careful inspection of the O-rings and cups doesn't reveal any visible concerns, the next step would be to blame the cylinder head.

Pull the injector and stare hard at the O-ring at the bottom.... caress it as you would a womans..... HArumph.... If it looks good and feels good (and is soft and supple as a womans th.... HArumph), then it's probably good.... I wouldn't go any further.... If it feels ratty, make sure the coolant level is adequate and pressure test the cooling system.... If the cup is cracked, it should at least "weep"... Don't get carried away with the pressure you apply.

Word to the wise... if you are very diligent, you may find enough warp to make you feel uncomfortable with the head... or you may find exclusions or other concerns with the head in the area that contacts the "fire ring" of the HG.

While it is important for us to consider the financial repercussions of our diagnosis.... we can't be turning out work that makes us feel uncomfortable. Every time I ever set out to save somebody $1..... it came back and cost ME $10...

If you can't... without a shadow of doubt show yourself the O-ring troubles and the cup troubles together.... call the head.

Every one that I have had with fuel in the coolant received 2 heads. I have never been able to see the cause of the fuel entering the coolant on a 6.0, but one of my co-workers once was able to see (what looked like) fuel running over the cup on a 6.0, so he replaced the cup, resealed the injectors, put it back together, rechecked it... same problem... ended up replacing the head. I always put in a hotline contact saying that I've removed the injectors, and can't see the cause... they always respond by suggesting replacing both heads... However, currently the heads are back-ordered to somewhere in a galaxy far, far away...

This is going to be an interesting discussion. I did have one customer with fuel in the coolant, and replacing the injector cups and o-rings fixed it.

I'd suggest pulling the injectors and pressure testing the cooling system to see if the cups seeped. This would be clue #1.

What's Hotline say? Hang heads? There must be a reason if they're saying that.....

I've never heard of this on VT365. Yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Had an 05 f-450 traditional tow truck, 137,000 miles, enough fuel was coming out it was popping the cap of the degas bottle. Called hotline and performed their diagnostics, didn't find anything. Pulled all of the injectors, all the o-rings were fine.

Had to do two heads customer pay, customer was not happy.