THUMBS UP ON WIRELESS VCM

Rate this topic

I DONT QUITE KNOW HOW U GUYS FEEL BUT WE TRIED THE WIRELESS ON ONE OF OUR IDS'S AND THE GUYS LOVE IT.ONLY THING I FIND IS IT USES THE WIRELESS ANTENNA IN THE TOUGHBOOK SO ITS EITHER IDS WIRELESS IN USE OR YOUR SHOP INTERNET CONNECTION. WE ALSO FOUND THAT THE WIRELESS SETTING FOR THE IDS WIRELESS HAS TO BE AUTOMATIC AND ON DEMAND OR MANUALLY SELECT THE ROUTER FOR THE INTERNET OR WHILE YOUR DRIVING DOWN THE STREET IT JUMPS OUT OF IDS WIRELESS AND INTO SOMEBODY ELSES WIRELESS ROUTER.THE RANGE FROM IDS TO VCM IS GREAT AND WORKS FINE WHILE PROGRAMMING MODULES. JUST AN FYI!

Whhooo hoooo, just got mine this morning and got her all up and running. Man, it's faster than the cabled connection.

I'm like a kid riding a bike right now: Look Maw No Hands!

Haven't had a whole lot of time to play around with it yet, other than gettin it up and running and trying on a couple of trucks.

It took longer to get it up here, because it had to go through all that damned french labeling. Freakin Quebec!

ONLY ISSUE IS YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE INTERNET OR WIRELESS VCM. WHEN BOTH CONNECTIONS ARE ON AUTOMATIC IT CONFLICTS AND DISCONNECTS FROM THE WIRELESS VCM.

Mine works too finally /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif I did find out the hard way however that you need to set it up using an actual FORD IDS VCM to pc cable. I had been using a custom usb ethernet adapter I got from some computer guru off Ebay for the last couple years, and it does NOT work to set up the transition to wireless...actually it doesn't work at all anymore now that the vcm has the new wireless software. Oh well, now for my next trick, VISTA WIRELESS IDS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

Bruce, do you have your security features turned off ie: firewall, antivirus/spyware ect? What happens when you try it? Does it make it all the way through the configuration and just not work, or does it have a problem configuring?

Bruce, do you have your security features turned off ie: firewall, antivirus/spyware ect? What happens when you try it? Does it make it all the way through the configuration and just not work, or does it have a problem configuring?

I can't remember exactly right now, as I haven't tried it for several weeks. I think it's the "color" thing- I picked the wrong color for my network, and the VCM card reads "Red". My network is labeled Black, and for my life I couldn't figure out how to change the network name so the PC looked for the right color. It sees the VCM card and shows "connected" in the lower right, but the IDS isn't recognizing it. After messing a few hours, I gave up. I did have all firewalls and AV off.

I'm on vacation now, but I do have the whole thing with me as I did a class down here, and demo'd it for another customer. Maybe I'll take some screen captures and put them up. Maybe one of you gurus could walk me through it....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Since I hooked mine up, I cannot view the online SLTS. Whenever I click on SLTS, I get an error message and it sends a report to Microsoft then kicks me out of inford.com.

Greeaaatttt.....Don't feel lonely Bruce. This may take my overloaded brain a while to figure out.

THERE IS ACTUALLY A WAY TO HAVE BOTH CONNECTED. ITS BY CONFIGURING THE VCM FOR ROUTER CONNECTION INSTEAD OF ADHOC.IT USES THE WIRELESS SHOP ROUTER THEN BOUNCES IT BACK TO IDS. ONLY PROBLEM IS WHEN YOU DRIVE AWAY FROM SHOP YOU LOSE VCM CONNECTION.WE HAVE IT CONFIGURED FOR AD-HOC( VCM TO IDS CONNECTION. ONLY ISSUE IS NO INTERNET UNTIL YOU SWITCH FROM VCM CONNECTION TO WIRELESS SHOP ROUTER.PROBLEM- IF YOU NEED TO GO TO THE INTERNET FOR A LATE CONFIGURATION YOU'LL HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT AND MANUALLY ADD IT TO THE IDS FILES THENSWITCH BACK TO RECAL???????

I had mine on ADHOC and switched it to use the Wireless access point configuration. With the Adhoc mode, the VCM Wireless cofiguration wizard wants to control the whole wireless system. It created havoc for me with viewing asbuilt data, SLTS, and tech hotline reports. After I switched to our existing wireless network, I am able to view all of those things but I get punted out of Internet exploer when I try to close a tab. I was on the phone with Teradyne today and they are looking into it now. If I remove the Teradyne wireless card in Add/remove programs, I can view everything in inford.com.

With the wireless access point I can now jump back and forth between my online service manuals and IDS now which came in real handy today while diagnosing an injector pump on a 6.4L and doing air pressure tests for an STC fitting whill trying to view ICP with shop air on applyed.

It's no big deal for me to hook up the USB cable for a roadtest. It is in my bay and shop that I really wanted to get rid of the wires between the truck and toolbox where my laptop sits.

That is the importance of being able to connect to a vehicle AND the Internet at the same time. You can run tests, monitor PIDS and have service publications up on your IDS all at the same time which is quite desireable... and don't forget when IDS has to go look on the network for that calibration file while you are starting the reprogram process!

Just went through a Microsoft update and all is working well. Every time the problem happened, I kept sending the error reports. Last nite I had a message pop up saying an update was ready to install. Works awsome now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure is a handy way to use the IDS. It is a little disappointing response wise (read slow). We have only been able to make it work in adhoc mode. Trying to hook it up to the router has not worked for us yet. Two different guys have only succeed in screwing up the connection to the point that there is no internet or access to the network. Oh well tomorrow is another day, hopefully we will get it figured out. I think the idea of using a PCMCIA card as well as the built in wireless would be the best way and fastest possible speed.