The Other-Other 6.4 Oil Leak

Rate this topic

I thought you guys may be interested in this. This customer was complaining of an oil leak. With the help of an inspection mirror and a light, I traced it to the drain tube o-ring for the HP turbo. Never having seen this problem before, I thought I'd share. The replacement o-ring is black rather than green so hopefully that means they improved it.

64oilleak1mx9.jpg

64oilleak2sl1.jpg

64oilleak3vq8.jpg

MY FIRST 6.4 OIL LEAK AT 2100MILES WAS SAME.HAD TO PULL CAB THIS WAS BEFORE IN CAB REMOVAL PUBLISHED.YOU THINK THEY WOULD HAVE PUT A STUD IN TO ANCHOR DRAIN TUBE, BOSS IS ALREADY ON TUBE!

There is a reason that tube is not bolted down. In the early units it was bolted down and this caused a leak due to the turbo and drain tube heating up and expanding at different rates which would kick the drain tube over slightly and it would leak past the "o"-ring. With that tube not bolted down it can flex side to side as the turbo heats up and keep the "o"-ring centered.