iATN

Rate this topic

is a window into other peoples misery. Sometimes I think that it is for this reason only that I still receive tech mail from iATN.Most help requests are from those that refuse to purchase proper test equipment and/or adequate manuals... These are essential tools if he wants to be self employed.A very few are from guys that are stumped the "honest" way....Others are from guys that can't swim but jumped into the deep end, anyway.

vehicle has after market non vgt turbo and just had head work but was towed in no start with low pressure oil pump exploded fix oil pump startes runs smooth just no power has excessive fuel from exhaust unburned fuelCOMPUTER CODES AND DESCRIPTIONSpo46:bypass control valve circuit range perfp0470:exhaust back press circuit malfunctionTESTING AND RESULTSfuel press:50 psiboost:4 PSI

LMAO yeah Jim I see the same thing day after day from the iATN, and it really makes one wonder WTF ?????

Finally it got to the point where I unsubscribed to it altogether.

I avoid the TechMail area because it's full of guys who don't know what they're doing. There's a lot of really intelligent guys in the IATN HD Forum, like Damon Russell, Charles Ledger and others. Many of these guys I know from classes, meetings, and other events. I've tried to get Charles to join here as he's a really sharp PSD dealer tech from California and would contribute a lot.There are a lot of guys who are substandard, too. I still help out in the HDF regularly on PSD and IH problems, but there are so many of my students there that most easy questions are handled quickly. You are correct about proper tooling and information systems- it is incredible how these guys think they're going to fix a 6.0 with an aftermarket scan tool and no service manual. 90% of them have not checked fuel pressure on a performance problem. (Duh!) I regularly get myself in arguments there over using OE scanners.Overall, IATN is a very good thing if you're an independent. The problem is that most indy's won't face the truth on what tools and equipment they need to get the job done correctly.Just like everywhere, there are good and bad indy techs just like there are good and bad dealer techs. IATN is another tool that techs use to fix trucks. :grin:

You know, I have joined and participated in over 12 forums/web sites including iATN. I haven't been back to most in quite a while now including iATN. In fact, now that I think of it, I haven't been back to ANY other forums for a while. I think I am finally fed up with the wilderness and dealing with, well, you know. At least with iATN you are dealing with "techs" and I would rather interact with them at this point. I just simply don't have the time and I still get the emails everyday which I delete. :scratch:  Hey Bruce, does Charles Ledger have an objection to the DTS or is he simply not interested? I realize he publishes the "Dieselmanns" web site - I don't consider other publishers as competition - I ran into that issue with Jason Lester (TDS) and as far as I am concerned, its all good - its about the information and I don't compete with anyone. Just doing my own thing! He is welcome here. Anyway, thanx for extending the invite to him.

Hey Bruce, does Charles Ledger have an objection to the DTS or is he simply not interested? I realize he publishes the "Dieselmanns" web site - I don't consider other publishers as competition
No, in a PM he said he's just got too much on his plate right now keeping up with other websites and life in general. I was in his area a few years ago (northern California) and had dinner with him. Like most techs I've met, he was a great guy and very knowledgeable. He is aware of this site via the grapevine, but I doubt he has any objections to it.Keep up the good work! :grin:

in a PM he said he's just got too much on his plate right now keeping up with other websites and life in general.
Oh how I understand that statement! The hours I have spent developing this site and playing around on all the others. Fortunately the hard work is over for the most part and I have been able to pull myself away from my office more and more. Spending more time with the little ones is priority one. :cool:

Larry, mine just turned 20... The only time I see him is when something is broken.

An only child - he is spoiled rotten....

In his defence... he has a job on an oilfield service rig... working 12 hour days in Alberta winters.... outside. Pays his own mortgage.

Makes all the times he told me he hates my guts worth it....

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid the TechMail area because it's full of guys who don't know what they're doing. There's a lot of really intelligent guys in the IATN HD Forum, like Damon Russell, Charles Ledger and others. Many of these guys I know from classes, meetings, and other events. I've tried to get Charles to join here as he's a really sharp PSD dealer tech from California and would contribute a lot.There are a lot of guys who are substandard, too. I still help out in the HDF regularly on PSD and IH problems, but there are so many of my students there that most easy questions are handled quickly. You are correct about proper tooling and information systems- it is incredible how these guys think they're going to fix a 6.0 with an aftermarket scan tool and no service manual. 90% of them have not checked fuel pressure on a performance problem. (Duh!) I regularly get myself in arguments there over using OE scanners.Overall, IATN is a very good thing if you're an independent. The problem is that most indy's won't face the truth on what tools and equipment they need to get the job done correctly.Just like everywhere, there are good and bad indy techs just like there are good and bad dealer techs. IATN is another tool that techs use to fix trucks. :grin: 
i was talking to Rusty about that the other night at dinner. the general consensus with all of us at the rib joint was that IATN is having some serious issues with lack of competent techs, but we do a decent job of policing it ourselves. i avoid techmail like the plague, and unsubscribed to it to free up my inbox.there are many DAMN good techs on iATN, you just have to look for them. once you see them, you will be forever grateful to be associated with them. Eric, the long haired dude with shaggy beard that was sitting at the table with the Pico scope dudes, is one of the smartest techs i have met in a long dime. we had some serious indepth conversations over large quantities of beer that night!

I signed up with iATN... must be sometime in the earlyish 90s... Started out with a good bunch of guys (for the most part)... Since then, tech mail has become populated by those looking for an easy way out... It's been a long, long time since I visited their forums... but those were becoming the victim of others more intent on patting themselves on the back...

What leaves a bad taste in my mouth is the number of "techs" that will try to fix something without learning how it works, first.

Early in my career, I worked in a European car shop for a short, balding Spanish guy... He'd worked for Rolls Royce and other high end manufacturers in the past... He once told me that "you can't fix something if you don't know how it is supposed to work"... And there is no greater truth than that in this trade...

We must seek out that knowledge that we need... and one fabulous source is the "Description and Operation" section of the WSM....

He once told me that "you can't fix something if you don't know how it is supposed to work"... And there is no greater truth than that in this trade...

We must seek out that knowledge that we need... and one fabulous source is the "Description and Operation" section of the WSM....

Jim there have been many a time you have stated this and in different ways, but the message never loses it's significance.