My 1st 6.4L radiator...Any tips

Rate this topic

I have a 2008 f250 waiting for me tomorrow that needs a radiator. I know theese have been pretty common but this will be my 1st. I have already gotten some condolences and other techs wishing me luck. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/stooges.gif Are there any tricks or shortcuts?

I found an older discussion on this, read THIS TOPIC and check out the photo posted by rockbronco. It shows all of the heat exchangers peeled back which will give you room to get the radiator out.

I will give you one word of caution: Use great care in removing the radiator connection clips. They can fly away and get lost and are not available separately. Ask me how I know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif I now raise one end out and grab the clip with a long handled pair of needle nose pliers.

Hum, I have never had to pull the shroud with the radiator, maybe with the ranch hands you must.

Here is my list...

evac a/c

remove the 4 8mm bolts on the shroud

drain the radiator

loosen the fuel cooler

remove the intercooler

loosen the p/s cooler

remove the trans cooler/hoses

disconnect the hood latch (both ends)

remove the straps to the core support

remove the core support

disconnect the top 2 hoses

loosen the wiring harness from the radiator

pull the radiator up and forward alittle on the pass side to

disconnect that hose

remove the radiator.

Going back together as soon as the a/c lines are secure start the

vac/recharge

Ill have to time my self but i swear its takes an hour or less.(I have done 6 or so)

Remove the upper shroud to make accessing the right rad hose easier. For me it makes life easier. The lower shroud stays in the truck. I also do not discharge the A/C and remove the condenser. Nice instructions though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif That will get the job done. I'll try leaving the upper shroud next time.

yeah they are not too bad. I dont know what I did with the picture now. its not a bad idea to get a second hand to help lift and lower that huge monstrosity

I've started lifting the entire cooler assemby out as a unit - A/C condensor, trans cooler, the whole mess. Then dissect it all on the floor.

Seems to go faster for me...

I did it and it was a piece of cake (thanks to you guys). I didn't disconnect any lines other than the trans cooler lines going into the radiator. I probably broke even on the job. I took me a little over 2 hours. I can't believe how many coolers there were. I mean, is it really neccesary to have a cooler for the washer solvent and the brake fluid? Thanks agian! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I had done a number of radiators and then last month had F-Series ambulance come in with a leaker. When I popped the hood I noticed both battery trays empty since the batteries had been re-located. What a sweet and easy access it was. So now I prefer to R/I the batteries when I do radiators. I also found after removing the radiator clamps if you shove back on the radiator/shroud assembly you can pull the rubber donuts off. This makes it much easier to remove the upper radiator cross brace. I take the donuts off the new radiator and install them after putting the brace back into position.

I also found after removing the radiator clamps if you shove back on the radiator/shroud assembly you can pull the rubber donuts off. This makes it much easier to remove the upper radiator cross brace. I take the donuts off the new radiator and install them after putting the brace back into position.

Great little tip. I feel like I always fight that upper support. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I have done 5 so far. Last three I have broke even. First two were the learning experiences. I take the i/c out, unhook all the coolers and let them lay on the ground, evac the ac and out comes the radiator.. at first was disconnecting the batter cables but last time left them hooked up and laid the positive cable out of the way seemed to be fast and the customer didn't have to reset there radio or anything. The other guys in my shop think Im crazy but I enjoy doing it... its a challenge to see if I can get faster than the last time and still make sure everything is right