Bad CMP right out of the bag

Rate this topic

Mekanik

I had one today on a 07s57. The customer was in a real hurry, I didn't even do a multi-point. I just pulled it up to my door and did the recall outside. The guy came back a few minutes later saying his truck was bucking and jerking and his MIL lamp was on. At first I thought he was trying to pull something, but I hooked up my ngs and there was a p0344. I cleared it and monitored a few pids. His truck definately bucked and jerked and the p0344 came right back. The RPM pid never dropped totally down like in a truck that stalls with a bad CMP. I put a new sensor in the truck and then gave it a good test drive.

The funny thing is that he had the CMP replaced this past summer and his truck was running great before I did the recall. I bet there will be more bad sensors out there. Just by the fact that the company that maks the part had to step up and make hundreds of thousands of theese things right away.

Has anyone else gotten a bad grey CMP?

I got one awhile back. The funny thing is mone didn't set any codes. After replacing the sensor, the guy came back complaining that the vehicle had no power and would not accelerate past 40 km/h. I was easily able to verify the concern. Like you, I monitored all the PIDs on a road test and never lost an RPM signal. Replaced sensor as a service replacement and the problem was gone. I was going to post a thread about this, but I didn't want anyone thinking I was crazy. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

The scary thing is that I do a lot of them in the "Quick Lane", and never even start the truck. I guess if there was a problem, I would find out about it right away. I also had one on Friday where oil was leaking from the new CMP sensor. The recall was done at our shop by someone else and tthe o ring was in 2 pieces. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Used to be (a euphamism for "back in the day") that there was a movement towards "zero defects".... The engineers felt that we could build a perfect world.

"Perfect" is a very spendy, very lofty goal....

And then the bean counters stepped up.... They decided that more money could be made if we expected our customers to be our quality control.... "The new part is bad? Let's have the tech jump through hoops and make claims for service part warranty and give the guy another "new" part....".

Used to be, a new part was a new part in every sense of the word. Today? New simply means "previously unused"...

No bad, new sensors on our end..... YET. But I have heard that there are concerns... And, of course, the general public will call all of them shit because one of them was bad...

We are the face that the customers see... so it will be our fault...

Just about everybody out there has increased Warranty claims that (MOTHER) Ford looks at so closely, So here's the big question, Will the 1st round of recalls on the CMP turn into round 2 or 3 before they get it right? When will Ford stop penny pinching and just get good quality vendors, to build good quality products?????

I'll be willing to bet we'll see round two in the very near future, as far as Ford getting a better product, well when they quit looking for the lowest bidder for a product maybe just maybe we'll have decent parts as we once had.