Harness issues

Rate this topic

Anyone who works on these engines knows that there have been major issues with harness chafing but that's not all. Ford has been pulling apart many of the returned harnesses and has found that the ground wire inside the loom is causing a lot of PCM re-sets, stalling and no start concerns. I was told that they have found as many as 18 chafes in a single harness. I bring this up because I have a 2004 F550 coming in for harness replacement as per engineering. Apparently Ford now has a special team put together to assist techs with problem vehicles to prevent buy backs. This truck supposedly stalls frequently but restarts. There are never any codes, the customer NEVER leaves the truck for more than one day and we can't verify his concern. I agree with the harness decision. Whether they like it or not I am going to open up this harness and look for myself. I will photograph anything interesting that I discover.

Anybody have any good harness stories? Photos?

'04 350, cuts out for no particular reason, and I mean for a fraction of a second. No DTCs, not repeatable, that is untill I touched the harness over bank 2, once found, I could make it stall at will.

Mind you, there was no external chaffing!

My take on this is as follows:

Harness mfg. in Mexico for pennies on the dollar.Shows in the fact that retainers are installed incorrectly, or not at all.

Harness shipped to Indiana, where highly paid, unmotivated union workers must install them on poorly built engines.Hell,if it don't fit, make it fit!

Stretch it!Twist it!Whatever!It'll work, besides we don't have to fix it if it dosen't.

I opened 2 harnesses, and short of striping indv. wires you won't see a thing

Bottom line is, we are the ones taking it in the ass, because of other peoples shody workmanship.

This is just my opinion, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Quote:
This is just my opinion, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
I sense some hostility! LOL - You are not alone and I for one don't think that you are wrong either. The harness problems have gone on from the beginning and though there have been some minor attempts to make changes, there continue to be problems with internal harness shorts. I am still waiting for the customer of that F550 to make an appointment for his harness. The engineer keeps calling. I always ask these guys questions when I call for "whatever." They and Ford know the harnesses are crap. I think it's Navistar that is dragging their feet. I wonder if their trucks are having the same problems?

Checking the harness has become a ritual when a driveability concern comes in. I have a two foot long 1/2" dowel that I poke and prod the harness with and have found a couple shorts that way. Now the Hot Line wants us to check the harness with a pair of pliers! Supposedly squeezing the harness helps find those internal shorts.

I do have to admit though, that I have for the last few months seen almost no wiring related issues. A few EGR valves, a missing injector seal and two engines ought to make up for it though!

we just had a wild one. it was a 05 F350. runs rough. using the enhanced power balance test with wds we decided to put 3 injectors in it. still ran rough, then put an injector harness in it, still ran rough. ended up replacing the FICM and all was good after. we were surprised it ended up being the FICM when at the beginning while killing cylinders everything acted like injectors were the problem because we werent getting much response from the 3 problem cylinders when we disabled them