6.0 MISS

Rate this topic

Originally flagged #3 in memory, only happened at part throttle cruise 70-80mph. pass all tests

install injector per hotline, retest, miss feels worse.

Can duplicate miss in park, steady throttle 1500-2000 rpm. Power balance shows all cylinders miss, but none are flagging. Passes relative compression. Hotline suggests IPR, although no flucuations seen, all other specs ok. what do you guys think? IPR or FICM? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Use your best judgement. If the IPR PID shows nothing and looks like it's where it sould be I would lean toward a FICM. I say use your judgement because most of us have to learn the temperment of this engine on our own. Gut feeling, try a FICM. This is one of those times that a spare "test module" would come in handy. I have run across this only once and a FICM was the cause. There is even a SSM on FICM's for random misfires and lack of power. Right or wrong, you will have learned something. Let us know how you make out, we all will learn a little more! I would be interested in some other opinions too.

How many miles?

Also does your scan tool/laptop have an engine load% PID?

Any engine with a engine load% over 35% on a cold start we consider the whole set of injectors junk.

We always get approval to change out the whole set. We simply take a snapshot and send it to them. We also see a lot of worn rocker arms, the rocker tip wears deep into the mating surface of the crosshead on early engines.

The FICM seems like it would be worth a try if a test module is available.

I tried a FICM from an 04, but it needs to be flashed to the vehicle as the calibrations are different. The truck only has 18,000 miles, but is an early 03. The IPR changed nothing, and the hotline would only authorize the 1 inj.

This is a flagged VIN for special handling, as this customer has had this complaint for quite awhile, and a different dealer said numerous times there were no problems, so he brought it to me. I ran oasis, and the hotline called me!

As a side note, nothing is felt at idle, only between 1500-2000 rpm. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Quote:
...the hotline would only authorize the 1 inj
The HotLine has no authority as to what you can and can't replace. That is totally a warranty issue for Ford and your rep to help you with. I say, replace as many injectors as it NEEDS! Case and point, I just finished an '03 that knocked, shaked when cold and lacked power. #7 injector was down 60% until fully warmed up. After I replaced #7, I still had a miss under light load but the cold start issue was corrected. Another look at power balance showed #2 missing under the light throttle load. Why didn't it show up the first time? The PCM was compensating for #7 which makes perfect sense because #2 is right after #7 in the firing order. Pardon me but screw the HotLine, replace what is bad and fix it! Of course, if you throw all 8 at it you will have some explaining to do.

I suppose Keith, that I have suffered under the delusion, that 6.0 inj replacement required approval, if more than one was being replaced.

This goes to fact that I restarted in dealerships last April, and this is what I was told by management, but was well aware of the driveability issues with this engine, due to the fact that many of my friends are Ford dealer techs who bemoaned the 6.0 injectors and the fact that Ford was not allowing replacement of any that were not generating DTCs.

This particular VIN is now getting the remaining 7 injectors, and this mistake will never be made again. Thanks

I do hope I was clear in that if you replace an entire set of injectors you will need approval, most likely by your rep. The engineering stand on the issue is that all 8 don't just go bad, and I agree. If they are all "bad" the reason is not the injectors themselves but quite likely fuel contamination (water) or poor quality oil (sludged). In those cases the claim WILL be denied unless you can pull some strings. If you have 2 or 3 bad.. okay, but you do need to clearly document the reason for doing so. This will help your manager if it ever comes down to a debate with the rep. I replaced an entire bank of injectors when I found that one with the missing copper ring allowing combustion gasses into the fuel rail. I cited contamination on the bank and the claim sailed right through. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yeah, I understood that, and in this case even the hotline agrees that the miss is due to damaged injectors caused by a weak fuel pump. Believe me I will always search out the root cause for any driveability issue, not just throw parts at the job, but in the case of the other 6.0 I was working on, I only replaced the flagged injrs., then had to immediately remove the cover to replace the other 2 [waste of time] See my other post.

Your insight is surely appreciated.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif