please help! white smoke, random misfire

Rate this topic

Well this is interesting and I would love to hear an explanation from someone who actually knows about this particular topic. I don't doubt you Jim but I would love to hear the "official" explanation from the horse's... mouth. If this is true, I wonder if there is any way to detect that it is happening.

Well this is interesting and I would love to hear an explanation from someone who actually knows about this particular topic. I don't doubt you Jim but I would love to hear the "official" explanation from the horse's... mouth. If this is true, I wonder if there is any way to detect that it is happening.

Keith... remember, all I've done is make some bold assumptions.. It would be interesting to see the hotline notes for that one...

For James.... The injectors that this truck "ate".... did you have the opportunity to find out how these injectors failed? Was the failure electrical or mechanical? Open coils, perhaps?

electrical,, buzz would get weaker after several wot,,

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning

Keith... remember, all I've done is make some bold assumptions.. It would be interesting to see the hotline notes for that one...

i'd like to see and hear the official end of it also

Well, you reported that it fixed it so there must be something to it or maybe the ICP was having some funky reaction to the hydraulic pulses in the oil rail? Was this an engine with the ICP in the right cylinder head?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif Man, we come across some weird stuff on this site!

Well, you reported that it fixed it so there must be something to it or maybe the ICP was having some funky reaction to the hydraulic pulses in the oil rail? Was this an engine with the ICP in the right cylinder head?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif Man, we come across some weird stuff on this site!

yes,, going thru valve cover into oil rail,,

Well, I finaly found the problem. This truck eventuly got to the point where it would barely run. Finaly noticed small change in rpm signal and relative compression would error out with "unexpected rpm change". Removed engine and found crankshaft sensor tone ring seperating from crankshaft (as tony mentioned earlier). Tone ring will move back and forth approx 25 degrees independant of the crank.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

That is what is so great about this site. It's great when there is a truck in the shop doing one of these "wierd things".

I'm glad the truck it fixed.

ICP taking out fuel injectors... I would have never thought of that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif