Fuel filter on LCF with PTO

Rate this topic

Any body had the "Pleasure" of trying to change a fuel filter on an LCF with a trans mounted PTO yet?? This one had a PTO with a shaft to drive a pump. I was able to reach it from over the top of the frame by laying over the top of the engine from the right side but it took two guys to get the cap off the HFCM, I held the socket on the cap and had a helper push the ratchet from the left side(long flex head 1/2" drive) to loosen the cap it was insanely tight right to the last thread. Fortunately the front of the body(tank) stopped so I was able to reach it from the top but if it didn't I don't see how this filter would be serviced.

Anybody thought about relocating the HFCM to a reasonable spot to service? The hardware required to do it is simple as is the labor my real question is, What would the legal restraints be from moving it?

Where would you move it to? I suppose further back in the frame rail might afford ample room fut you would likely need to drill holes for the mount and the water separator drain. THAT is where I think you might find an issue as I recall drilling holes in frames is supposedly a big no-no. I don't know why. Ever really look at the frame rails? They are riddled with holes! The fact that it is located inside the frame rail offers it protection. putting it on the outside of the frame rail would be nice for serviceability but it would require a metal casing to protect it from road debris. Don't tell me it cant be done. UD Trucks and Mitsubishi trucks have all kinds of crap hanging off the outside of the frame rails like BRAKE BOOSTERS, transmission coolers and fuel filter assemblies along with the standard fuel tanks and battery boxes. Now that you bring this subject up, this is one place that Ford should really look at for product improvement. They know that a PTO option will place a large hunk of metal there.

Silly question though, you could not access the cap from underneath at all?

One of the body-builers we use has a bad habit of putting one of the U-bolts for the box about half an inch in front of the HFCM. You have to remove the HFCM to change the filter. We've bitched at them time and time again about it, but they keep doing it.

Silly question though, you could not access the cap from underneath at all?

NO.... with the harness bundle and the PTO shaft you can hardly put your hand up there to hold the socket on and there isn't enough space to swing a ratchet long enough to be useful from below, Plus on an LCF there's a cross member in front of the HFCM preventing you from using a swivel and long extension like on an super Dodie.

It's reminiscent of the 94,95,96 F-150's with 2 feet of wide open frame rail with nothing in the way but the fuel filter was stuffed between the rail and front of the gas tank for no apparent reason other than it looked good on paper.

Quote:
It's reminiscent of the 94,95,96 F-150's with 2 feet of wide open frame rail with nothing in the way but the fuel filter was stuffed between the rail and front of the gas tank

I've tried to forget those days. Don't tell me the're back.