Insight on IDM's

Rate this topic

Question:

I know there are several IDM's out there, but they basically fall into one of 2 categories... 94-98 and 99-03. IDM's are spendy little buggers, and I'd rather be absolutely sure I need one prior to adding one on the customers estimate. As it happens, I have a known good test IDM for the 99-03 Trucks, but I'm currently working on an older one (97) and would very much like to plug in my test IDM to see if it fixes my problem.

Does anyone know if the newer model IDM is close enough to use for testing purposes? or if there are any bad consequences in trying????? I'd rather pick your collective brains before I experiment. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif

Well, I grew some "man berries" and tried it. It worked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I'm still curious to know what the difference is though

Jeff, I have an IDM from a 96 Econoline that a coworker replaced when the truck was new. There was nothing wrong with the module. Long story short, it has worked on every truck I have plugged it into.

Yes, he has mentioned that pretty much anywhere he goes he can find an unsecured wireless connection and hit the Internet. He did say that he was traveling a lot these few weeks and I'll bet he a little busy

Since we're on this topic, I got a 1996 in today with a complaint of hard start/runs rough. Do the KOEO/KOER thing and voila, a HARD P0264 cyl. #2 fault. That same DTC appears on KOEO buzz test and KOER on-demand. Run a KOER cylinder contribution test and I get low contribution from ALL of bank #2. WTF? Do a little wiggle testing here and there and no reaction. Monitor PIDs at KOEO and running, I notice that there are TWO ICP PIDs and one ICP volt PID. ICP volts only goes to 0.04 volts, but ICP is normal at engine idle. This truck barely idles. I was just actually wondering about swapping in a "tester" 99-03 IDM. Changed fuel filter and noticed filter black, with speckles in the diesel fuel. Methinks o-rings and injector #2 at the very least so far. Any thoughts? Haven't had the pleasure of wrenching on a 7.3L in a while, let alone a pre-'99 model year. The turbo is SOAKED with oil, which I'm guessing the only repair is to replace (BIG $$$). The oil pan is crispy. How would you guys handle this? I do NOT want a "wedding ring".

Well, I grew some "man berries" and tried it. It worked /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

I'm still curious to know what the difference is though

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Mike a pre-1998.5 production engine has a return fuel system, fuel from the cylinder heads returns to the filter head and bits of rubber is a sure sign of injector o-ring degradation. I am sure that if you do in fact discover an injector or that bank has deteriorated o-rings you will want to service the entire set. Right?

Mike a pre-1998.5 production engine has a return fuel system, fuel from the cylinder heads returns to the filter head and bits of rubber is a sure sign of injector o-ring degradation. I am sure that if you do in fact discover an injector or that bank has deteriorated o-rings you will want to service the entire set. Right?

Well, Keith it's all about $$$ and CENTS (sense?) with this guy, and you know the whole (hole?) nine yards. At $663.00CAD per injector, I got a "deer in the headlights" look from the customer, not to mention the issue of the crispy oil pan. But, yes I am aware on the existence of the return type/mechanical transfer pump system of the pre-'98.5 DITs. I just haven't wrenched on them in a moon's age.

I'm with you guys on the IDM, I have a known good test unit that fits all years. There were some false DTC's on '99s and FMC released a different PN to prevent the false codes. I'm sure there are programming differences between the PN's but I don't know what they are.

Seattle now, Mariners game vs Texas last night (COOL!), Hendrix rock hall and Space Needle today. 7.3/6.0 classes for WSDOT this week. Have internet in the room at night but I have scheduled a lot of sightseeing on top of teaching. Spokane tomorrow. Anthony's digging it.

Boy, does the Mastertech scan tool suck on a 6.0, that's what WSDOT uses. Poor bastards.......

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif