6.0 runs like crap when cold,icp very irratic

Rate this topic

Have an 04 f-250 that will harly move at all when cold and runs like shit when hot.Ran eec test and found p402 and p0341 in memory.Found egr valve stuck open.Replaced that and got rid of thAT CODE.Cleared all codes and checked to see if p0341 would return.This is the camshaft sensor code.It immediately came back and ran pinpoint test.Needs cam sensor.Replace that and now codes don't return.This truck has over 200k miles on it by the way!Started monitering pids and noticed what looks like real trashy icp.At 2000 rpm at steady throttle I would expect to see a fairly clean pattern.Removed icp cover and connector.Found oil coming out of icp,so replaced that,but no change still.oil is good and all other pids look good .ipr is at 26 at idle and seems to move up gradually with load.Am I missing something?

Is it an 04.25 with the icp in the valve cover, If so you may also need a new connector (5c3z 12224 a) for a pin fit issue they had and even recalled for a while. Also did you check to see if it has the latest calibration with the inductive heat strategy??? I've seen that fix a lot of cold drivability issues.

Ah yes I remember it like it was yesterday.

It may very well be a failing HPOP.

It has a nasty habit of depositing it's almost microscopic debris in the attenuator check valve and causing a noisy ICP signal(when veiwing the PID recording) at 1800 to 2000 rpm and it may also give you a steady state throttle rumble at around 75 to 80 mph (feels almost like driveshaft).

Or as Jeff said it could just be a crappy sensor and connector, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Trashy ICP around 2000 rpm? Motor feels almost like it is dropping cylinders? Try this.... keep your rpm steady between 1800~2000.... wherever it is running crappy. Manipulate the IPR in active command mode to raise and lower the ICP. If the nature of the "misfires" change, there is a good chance you have bad high pressure oil rail check valves....

Trashy ICP around 2000 rpm? Motor feels almost like it is dropping cylinders? Try this.... keep your rpm steady between 1800~2000.... wherever it is running crappy. Manipulate the IPR in active command mode to raise and lower the ICP. If the nature of the "misfires" change, there is a good chance you have bad high pressure oil rail check valves....

Also, monitor misfires in Cylinder Balance and see if they are bank specific....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I had a really difficult time finding the cause of really trashy ICP a while back. At about 2500 rpm (or so), I would get random misfires on bank 2 only. The ICP was fluctuating (IIRC) about 0.6v. The injectors had been replaced prior to my getting the job. Hotline had me replace all 4 injectors again on bank 2, and the banjo bolt. Same thing still happened. Turns out the guy that replaced the injectors, thinks it's too much work to remove the check valve from the oil rail and separate it from the stand pipe when removing the manifold, and cracked the check valve. New check valve on the left side, and all was well.

Ah yes I remember it like it was yesterday.

It may very well be a failing HPOP.

It has a nasty habit of depositing it's almost microscopic debris in the attenuator check valve and causing a noisy ICP signal(when veiwing the PID recording) at 1800 to 2000 rpm and it may also give you a steady state throttle rumble at around 75 to 80 mph (feels almost like driveshaft).

Or as Jeff said it could just be a crappy sensor and connector, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I've heard about that on the earlier ones also. I've had the o-ring in the bottom of the HP pump fail, causing SUPER erratic ICP reading's.