Flushing Oil Coolers?

Rate this topic

Do you mean flush out the coolers to restore flow or to remove contamination from the factory? I have wondered if cooling system flushing chemicals actually work in removing whatever it is that builds up. And if they do, like you ask, can they be flushed or is is possible to clog them with loosened deposits and actually CAUSE blockage?

Did I just answer you with a question? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

I guess you could only do it on the vehicle. To test this you would need to find a truck with a restricted cooler, check the temperature PIDs before doing a cooling system flush that uses cleaning chemicals then retest afterward and see if the restriction improved or worsened. I suppose you could also take a known good truck and once again verify that the cooler is not restricted and then perform the cooling system flush. Then retest to see if if the flush loosened up anything and plugged the cooler. I don't suggest experimenting on a customers truck but if you have one come in for a flush, why not? We use the BG crap and you have to run the truck anyway so bringing along the PDS or IDS would be no real extra labor.

I'll have to remember to try this the next time I perform a service which is not too often.

Keith, sounds like a cooling system problem, more than oil. Maybe a coolant filtration system is the answer for this problem. Big trucks have used them forever, why not the smaller ones???? We need to test the coolant why not filter it??? Might save the customers in the long run from having to pay big money to do this job.

If need be, I could put together a low-cost coolant filter set up to be installed as a package.

Just curious Keith. Do these failures occur just as frequently, or less on F-650/F-750 and Navistar VT365 applications? The reason I ask is because I seem to recall seeing a coolant filter used in those applications. I will never get to wrench on those vehicles, so I'll never know. My idea for "preventative" maintenance would be to cut the factory recommended coolant flushing interval in half in order to keep the cooling system clean.

Just curious Keith. Do these failures occur just as frequently, or less on F-650/F-750 and Navistar VT365 applications? The reason I ask is because I seem to recall seeing a coolant filter used in those applications. I will never get to wrench on those vehicles, so I'll never know. My idea for "preventative" maintenance would be to cut the factory recommended coolant flushing interval in half in order to keep the cooling system clean.

Mike, most of the Medium trucks that come through my bay have CAT engines so you really cant compare. We have never sold a F650/750 with a 6.0L but I have had two come in for recalls. Today I performed 07S57 on a 7.3L which is also rare in my shop. The only thing that I could compare with is the LCF's we have running around but they are basically identical to 6.0L in the Sooooper Dooodies. We have yet to see a failed oil cooler or EGR cooler on the VT-265 and they don't run a coolant filter. Maybe I am not the one to ask, we have only had 1 bad oil cooler in 6 months and our last head gasket repair was at least 7 or 8 months ago. I have seem a lot of weird oddball stuff though.

That brings up the point of the 2003 year 6.0l, never put a cooler in for split degree problems, and have only replaced 2 for intermix. Lost count on '05 '06 models. SO what are they doing differently?

Quote:
we have only had 1 bad oil cooler in 6 months and our last head gasket repair was at least 7 or 8 months ago

Keith, you just jinxed yourself with that statement, here they come. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

99% of the head gasket repairs I do have restricted engine oil coolers. If they could get the heads to quit lifting off the block and filling the cooling system with carbon or soot, they may get the coolers to quit plugging up.

The problem we see the most is when the oil cooler gets restricted and overheats the screen under the cooler ripps and sometime takes out the high pressure pump and IPR. My idea was instead of replacing the oil cooler in tsb 08-3-7, is to flush it on the truck. Maybe modify a trans flusher to do the oil side and use chemicals on the coolant side. If we do head gaskets almost every time the oil cooler needs to be replace.

That brings up the point of the 2003 year 6.0l, never put a cooler in for split degree problems, and have only replaced 2 for intermix. Lost count on '05 '06 models. SO what are they doing differently?

+1 on that. I can't even count how many oil cooler's ive done on 05's, RARELY see 03's in for coolers.

I agree Tom. I see quite a few 03's with issues, just not as much as the 04 and newer units. I have an 03 F-550 in pieces right now for head gaskets and both coolers.

• 2 weeks later...

You can flush an oil cooler till you think it is clean, regardless of the chemical and you can cut the ends off and try to physically clean it, but you can never get one completely clean. It will always have trash in it. In fact most engine rebuilds fail prematurely b/c of the old oil cooler. Thats the reason it is included in Ford's overhaul kits for ID and DIT engines.