Oil Leaks

Rate this topic

Where are you guys seeing a lot of oil leaks???

I see a lot of 6-0's with wet bell housings but the customer's aren't complaining! I generally keep my mouth shut unless it's a bad leak or something obvious. I am starting to see more and more glow plug harness leak issues but I suspect a lot are leaking from the block.

In addition... a couple of leaking IPRs. Friday I had to shampoo one motor.. the entire top covered in oil and dirt... added dye to the oil and will check again next week.

But the winner is (drum roll please) - the degas bottle. I'm in the middle of a spate of pooched oil coolers. I know that there's over 10 litres of oil in the cooling system because I'm only draining 3 litres of oil out of the crankcase at which point the motor stalls ... so far, none of the bottom ends are DOA. Cleaning the cooling system is a PITA.

I would have to agree. Glow plug harness,CMP,and oil filter lids, but I have not seen failed oil coolers.

Jim, how many miles/KM on these trucks? and any particular year?

As far as oil leaks, this thing is much better than the 7.3 overall.

I have got my customers in the habit of washing their engines a couple of times a year, which helps immensly.

When I was a kid, someone older and wiser than me said,"A clean engine is a happy engine".

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

First, I'll agree that these are by far much cleaner on the outside than the 7.3s.

First one I had was an 05... another dealer changed the cooler but left the cooling system full of pudding. IIRC, that one was nearing 20,000 km (12.5K miles). Second was an 05 21,000 km.... The one I'm waiting for parts on is an 04 with either 60000ish or 80000ish kms (ain't old fart eyes wonderful) and I understand I have one coming in on the hook tomorrow... birthdate unknown.

So far, each and every one of these was driven until it stalled. 3.5 liters (nearly 4 quarts) left in the crankcase seems to be the norm. First one I pushed into the shop... now I just dump a gallon of oil in and drive them in. If the bottom end is hurtin', at least I'll get a heads up on it. So far, they sem to live without pulling the pan.