Duratec EGR Flow Codes

Rate this topic

HeuiTim

01 Sable, mom's car, has a code for percentage or flow below normal? I honestly don't remember what dad said. Whats common with these, you guys are the experts. Car runs fine. I think it has under 30K. I know my 'scorts have the feedback sensor that measures differential pressure(big guess) that is tied into egr. Anyone feel FREE to chime in.

Joey's right. It is probably plugged egr ports. But first I would run a koer self test while checking for vaccum at the egr valve. That should be about 5-15hg for about 5 seconds at the end of the koer self test. If it is, put vaccum on the egr valve with the engine running. It should start to idle really rough and almost stall. If it dosen't then the egr ports are plugged. The dpfe sensors are also pretty common on these.

I agree with everything that has been said. DPFE sensors are far more common than plugged ports, but both do occur. Check DPFE voltage with the key on / engine off. Static DPFEGR voltage should be around 1.0V, If you see it stuck around .15 volts or higher than 1.3v, it is usually shorted from water that migrates into it from the exhaust system. The updated sensor actually has a vent in the top of it to prevent this in the future. Often times if you tap the old sensor in your hand you will get water out of it.

Think of it kind of like a TP sensor where 1.0V is supposed to equal a closed egr valve, and the number will go up proportionally with with the opening of the egr if the system is working properly. Except, instead of it being a potentiometer, the DPFE calculates flow by measuring the delta pressure, or pressure difference across a fixed orifice. Since you say the engine runs smooth at idle, we can assume that there is no egr flow at idle (nor should there be). So if the Voltage is something other than very close to 1V, then I'd suspect a DPFE sensor(or 9J460 for the parts guys). If you do get 1v or something very close to it During KOEO or idle, then the code may be set if the PCM doesn't see enough change when EGR is commanded. The way to test this is monitor your DPFEGR pid with the engine running at idle, and either command the valve open with a scan tool, or just use a hand vacuum pump...The DPFEGR voltage should increase with the opening of the valve, and the engine should stumble. If the engine doesn't stumble - Then I would be looking at the EGR ports for carbon blockage...and not just the port in the intake that the valve mates to, also the passage seen only upon removing the throttle body.

P.S. If you are looking for where this infamous DPFE sensor is located on your mom's 01 Sable, It is either a little black tube mounted one behind the upper plenum (near the ignition coil). OR some of these Duratec motors had a larger Aluminum or Plastic one bolted to a bracket below the throttle body and can be seen if you remove the air snorkel tube that connects to the throttle body. Basically just find the egr exhaust tube, and on it, are 2 small appendages that each have a silicone hose that connects to the sensor.

P.P.S. Your post was a bit vague, so it's worth mentioning there are other systems that will set codes pertaining to flow or percentages...The evaporative emissions system can set purge flow codes, if you have an air injection system it can set flow related codes, and you can also have catalyst efficiency threshold codes. The advise I gave you is for the EGR system only, so if you have a P0401,P0402,P0404,P0405,P1400 we're good. If however it is a different code than the aforementioned, then you may need some entirely different advise.

Streamlined diagnosics, baby!!!! Check continuous codes, clear codes, toss a DPFE and see if it sticks and finish with a KOER test. If the KOER passes, pocket your .4 and holler NEXT! Gotta love TSB 4-11-1. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk2.gif

Holy responses batman, robin has a hard-on.

Dad stuck a hose on egr valve and with engine running, he could stall it by sucking on it. So he ruled out the mechanical part as far as passages and the valve it self. It takes a bit of driving to set the code after he gas cleared it. Mom chimed in that it sometimes will trailer hitch at about 40mph which I assume is ecm commanding to much egr due to bad signal from said DPFE. I will have him repeat his test with a volt meter and do a KOEO check. Must be same sensor supplier CAT uses.

You guys divide the .4 among'st your selves.

Cheapo Code Reader $39, Carquest Wells vented DPFE $27, help from people who know what they are talking about, priceless.

Dad took off old one, full of moisture, was mounted next to coil.

When i was in the gas shop I caouldn't count how many car's come in with brand new EGR valves and pissed off owners saying that the Independent shop couldn't figure out what's causing there p0401, only to realize that the 02m01 covers the DPFE replacement. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif