Motorcraft Filters

Rate this topic

Parts_Jimmy

It is from a video that I got from my Blue Diamond/Powerstroke Rep. I work at a Powerstroke Direct Dealership. I had planned on giving a few of them to my fleet customers BUT they are no longer available so I improvised and loaded it up to You Tube. I have sent links to my customers via e-mail.

BTW, Kieth. The hotlinks are in yellow on this page and they are extremely hard to see on a white background.

this is a good video and Ive been showing it to anyone I can at the dealer, mostly fleet customers that cant seem to get it into their head

I thought Fram was a cheapy. I recently did heads on a truck and the owner gave ME THE OIL AND FILTER he wanted IN THE TRUCK. The filter was a Fram so I assume the one I removed was too. The filter pleats were separating from the bottom cap.

I thought Fram was a cheapy. The filter pleats were separating from the bottom cap.

I wouldn't use Fram if they were free. I had a defective Fram filter cost me an engine years ago and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They did pay P&L on the engine, but the taste just won't go away....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Back when I was at Cummins, we had a problem with Fram filters. We had found that the glue they used was coming off of the media and plugging the pickup tubes causing a restriction and burning up bearings. We got them to pay for quite a few 5.9 Dodges along the way. A oil pan drop might help, if this a concern.

Over the years I have cut apart many oil filters to compare them to Motorcraft filters and used them as displays at our parts counters. Fram filters are absolute garbage. Like Bruce, I have had fram filters take out customer engines. I have seen them colapse. In fact I see them coming out of Sicko's all the time shaped like an hour glass. the centres suck right in. I wouldn't use a Fram filter to run coffee through it if it were the only damn thing left on earth to filter coffee. I'd rather chew the coffee.

By the way, great video. I,m gonna load it on our front parts computer so the parts guys can show customers.

Well Keith I quess Fram won't be advertising on this site!

I have heard several problems with Fram, just didn't think it was that bad. I used to supply my customers with Motorcraft on their 7.3's. I used to sell a lot of Baldwin's also. I usually run the real cheapies in my own stuff, but their made by Purolator. I have never had a filter fail, so cant say.

How bad a fight did you have to get them to pony up?

Not hard at all, surprisingly. I submitted the filter and a letter explaining what went wrong (filter media collapsed, motor spun a rod 500 miles from home, ruined a vacation) and they sent a letter requesting an invoice. They paid the invoice with a letter stating they admit no fault, but are doing this out of "customer relations". Yea, right. It was August 1986 and I remember it like yesterday, it was on a buddies car that I sold him. I still shiver when I see an orange filter......

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The oil filter on the left is a Wix filter. The other on may be a Luber Finer possibly. I have not see the one on the right in the marketplace myself.

There is a high resolution one on the You Tube page. Just click on the "higher resolution" button below the screen.

I have made Blue Diamond aware of this being posted on You Tube. Hopefully they will post it somewhere better that can be downloaded. If that happens I will surely supply the link.

Fram=Junk.

Brand A is a Wix. Brand B is a Puralator. They were chosen because of the brand for A and type (lid) of filter on B. Since then Wix has changed their filter and added a cap to it. No difference but a built in cap.

If you are at a Ford dealer, you can go on dealer E-store and order the DVD. Type in diesel in the search box and everything related to PSD available will pop up.

It may also be available on http://www.powerstrokediesel.com. Click on business connections, enter your FMC Dealer login....check out the links up top for it in a .wmv format.

I will be updating the site for June... and in perusing the media kit I stumbled upon TWO DPF presentations where Ford has used MY photographs taken from MY original articles. So I have no problem posting the video here on the DTS web site... in streaming media in full resolution. I dint mind them using my photos, but someone could have asked.

Quote:
and in perusing the media kit I stumbled upon TWO DPF presentations where Ford has used MY photographs taken from MY original articles. I dint mind them using my photos, but someone could have asked.

Doesn't that steam your ass, they can do it to you but god help you if it was the other way around.

I want to say yes but it doesn't bother all that much that they used my pictures... after all, I publish this web site to share information... soooo... I just would have liked to have been contacted thats all. Now, from the beginning I have made every effort to try to not use any of Ford's stuff and you will note that I typically reference pertinent documents or materials. I have used some of the Power Point presentations but those are not protected documents, nor is the filter comparison video. All of this stuff is available in the Media Kit pages. So with that said, I will be making it available to make the presentation available to all of our visitors because the information it contains is awesome and very important. I doubt very much that Ford or Blue Diamond Truck will have much objection to me running what essentially is a three minute advertisement for Motorcraft filters.

What is even better is that I have a program that converts media files to a Flash presentation making it easy to embed into a web page AND it is a very small file size so I dint even need to use my streaming media server.

I came across one of those oil filters with the top peice that sticks in the cap and whoever put the new filter in just fammed the lid on crushing the filter. The truck still ran though. I have also seen stock fuel filters on the engine leave behind the gutsa and ahave a n ew filter jammed over that too. Start looking inside those housings and sometimes you find orings and plastic peices