Need IDS kit...

Rate this topic

Okay guys, before Bruce turns me into the whipping boy. My service shop next door does not have a IDS. Just so happens Bruce decided to pay me a visit today and low and behold guess who has a 6.0 in a E thats kicking their asses, my shop next door....Okay Bruce go ahead and send me to the wolves.

Now I need a price and avail. for a IDS for my shop next door.

Hey Larry, I only have the Dealer price info which is shown below. You will need the following 3 parts, plus a laptop running XP PRO. If you buy one, it comes with a 2 year software subscription. After that it's $350 per year for updates.

If you have access to fmcdealer you can update it via the web and skip the 2nd part in the list for DVD media updates.

It is likely that since you are not a dealer you will pay a higher price than what is shown below. Just call 1-800-Rotunda Option 1 and tell them you are a retail customer and they can answer any additional questions you may have.

164-R9505 $ 2,399.00 Vehicle Communication Module

IDS/VCM Kit w/web updates

164-R9504 $ 100.00 DVD Media Updates for the

Vehicle Communication Module (IDS or PDS)

164-R9503 $ 195.00 VCM to Laptop Cable

Okay guys, before Bruce turns me into the whipping boy. My service shop next door does not have a IDS. Just so happens Bruce decided to pay me a visit today and low and behold guess who has a 6.0 in a E thats kicking their asses, my shop next door....Okay Bruce go ahead and send me to the wolves.

Now I need a price and avail. for a IDS for my shop next door.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

Jeff, Tony...Thanks I was expecting Jim or Dwayne to ring in on this one.

If you guys can get get me cost and ten the sale is yours.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/notworthy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

Me being who I am should have been more on top of our repair shop before now.

Since when do Rotunda tools come at cost or list? I thought they were all one price for everybody. Overpriced. And you cant buy a new IDS or any part there-of anywhere else except the computer... but you knew that.

Nope, dealer price or retail nothing in between. Unless some get better pricing for more volume.

By the way Bruce is a hell of a guy you should all meet him face to face. He saw our newest toy and had a demo of some Cummins Celect injectors on the test stand. He has the test results with him.

Here is the tool list - Sorry, the chart lost the formating but it is still easy to read...

IDS Diagnostic Tool Price and Description

Part Number

Price

Description

164-R9500

$ 9,999.00

IDS Advanced Pkg. (includes VMM(164-R9508), VCM/IDS(164-R9505), Panasonic Toughbook(164-R9509))

164-R9501

$ 6,199.00

IDS Standard Pkg. (includes:VCM/IDS(164-R9505), Panasonic Toughbook(164-R9509))

164-R9502

$ 8,399.00

IDS Value Pkg. (includes: VMM(164-R9508), VCM to Laptop Cable(164-R9503), Panasonic Toughbook(164-R9509))

164-R9503

$ 195.00

VCM to Laptop Cable

164-R9504

$ 100.00

DVD Media Updates for the Vehicle Communication Module (IDS or PDS)

164-R9505

$ 2,399.00

Vehicle Communication Module IDS/VCM Kit w/web updates

164-R9506

$ 6,898.00

IDS Canadian Kit #1 (includes: VMM (164-R9508), VCM/IDS (164-R9505)

164-R9507

$ 4,894.00

IDS Canadian Kit #2 (includes: VMM (164-R9508), VCM to Laptop Cable (164-R9503)

164-R9508

$ 4,649.00

Vehicle Measurement Module VMM Kit

164-R9509

$ 3,850.00

Panasonic Toughbook Laptop (includes: external DVD drive and 3 year Panasonic "Protection Plus" warranty)

164-R9521

$ 3,175.00

Replacement Vehicle Measurement Module Only (Needs Ford Rotunda Diagnostic Mgr. Approval to sell)

164-R9522

$ 90.00

VMM Battery Cable

164-R9523

$ 120.00

VMM Red Probe

164-R9524

$ 98.00

VMM Black Probe

164-R9525

$ 100.00

VMM Probe Tip Adaptor Kit #1

164-R9526

$ 158.00

VMM Probe Tip Adaptor Kit #2

164-R9527

$ 150.00

VMM Secondary Ignition Transducer Cable Set

164-R9528

$ 188.00

VMM Secondary Ignition Transducer Clip Set

164-R9529

$ 158.00

VMM Coil on Plug Clip #1

164-R9530

$ 442.00

VMM 50 AMP Current Probe

164-R9531

$ 442.00

VMM 500 AMP Current Probe

164-R9532

$ 495.00

VMM Pressure & Vacuum Transducer

164-R9533

$ 285.00

VMM Pressure & Vacuum Adaptor Kit

164-R9534

$ 110.00

VMM Transmission Extension Kit

164-R9535

$ 45.00

VMM Self-Test Adaptor (Port C)

164-R9536

$ 120.00

IDS/Laptop to Vehicle Data Recorder (VDR) Adaptor Kit

164-R9537

$ 65.00

VMM Fuel Injector Test Adapter (inactive-same as 164-R9537)

164-R9545

$ 125.00

DVD Drive for Panasonic Laptop

164-R9547

$ 65.00

VMM Fuel Injector Test Adapter

164-R9549

$ 50.00

VCM DVD Media Updates for 1 Year

164-R9550

$ 350.00

VCM 1 Year Software Subscription for Dealer

164-R9553

$ 700.00

VCM 2 Year Software Subscription for Dealer

Our shop recently stepped up and bought an IDS. We got the price sheet that Keith has but when were about to actually make the buy my manager said that the Parts Manager at the local dealership told him that if we bought from them we would not get the 2 year subscription. I don't understand it, maybe there was a misunderstanding somewhere in their communication. Anyway, my manager talked with Bruce on the phone (THANKS BRUCE!!) and (I believe) ordered directly from Rotunda.

We have a good relationship with our local Ford store, and I think that we are consistantly one of their biggest wholesale accounts (frequently THE biggest) and would have rather kept it local, but the subscription is too valuable.

We found a place on ebay that has refurbished Tough Books that are lease returns (ours apparantly was a local government contract) for less than $900. It is a little old, the screen is more square than the latest widescreen trend, but it works great. They upgraded the memory, so it is the fastest PC that is available to the techs in the shop. It didn't need a hard drive upgrade for us, I store anything that I want to keep on the company server. It has a double function in that it has a serial port that most newer notebooks don't have, and we have a couple things in the shop that use that. There are "serial-to-USB" adapters but sometimes they get glitchy; a PC with a serial port works better.

Your guys are going to LOVE this tool! I am still fumbling around with it but I have come to recognise it as the best "scan tool" I've ever used.

Added in edit: Aside from pretty much needing XP Pro (apparantly it can run on Vista) for the IDS If I were doing it over again I would buy a laptop for my own use with XP Pro. Instead of buying a notebook on a local store special (WOW, What a great price!), having issues with Vista, then buying a copy of XP Pro (I do believe in legal ownership) and installing it. I could have bought a better brand computer w/XP for about what I paid for a "bargain" plus the convesion. Also: If you are accustomed to previous Office versions I would install an older version instead of Office 2007. It works OK but if you are going to share anything to an older computer you need to save it as "Compatible" (I set my default to the older style) and all the controls are moved around. Am I sounding like a dinosaur yet?

My info is that the IDS kit price went from $2400 to $2700 and the basic subscription went from two years to one year. You do need XP Pro, but you don't need the supported laptops or Toughbook. I think they are a waste of money, as I've rarely seen a laptop broken in the shop among thousands of my students. Once it's together, put it in it's own cheapie Craftsman rollaround lower cabinet to protect it. I thought the Rotunda tool flyers prices were a couple hundred bucks cheaper to the dealer techs, if they are still running. Larry, call 800-ROTUNDA and get a current price on the IDS from them to compare. It might be cheaper from them than dealer cost.

It was nice meeting you and seeing the shop- you guys have a lot of top quality equipment in the fuel side, now it's time to get the drive-in side up to par. They currently are fixing 6.0s without a scan tool, using an OBD2 code reader with NO scan data. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Yes, go through Rotunda directly as Bruce said. I looked on the RTTP web site (technician Toll store) and the VCM kits are on backorder again according to the listing. I would call Rotunda and get the info from them.

One other thing to add here, make sure you purchase the extended service contract for the VCM. I'm not sure why but our guys here are crashing them left and right, so the extended contract was a wise idea.

Bruce that's amazing. We have 3 IDS kit's on with a toughbook, the other 2 with generic laptops. Somehow one of them get's f'd up and we never have all three running, one is always broken. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boxing.gif

We have 3 IDS kit's on with a toughbook, the other 2 with generic laptops, one is always broken.

Wow! I've never heard that before. I HONESTLY know of only one laptop that's been broken among all of my contacts, and that was another trainer. This is an old pic, but here's what we use at my old shop still:

Posted Image

Open the top drawer and drop the whole laptop into the drawer, cables and all, roll it in the corner when you're not using it, for protection. It has a power strip screwed on it's side for power, and extra drawers are handy for schematics, extra cable hookups, etc. I'm lazy and like sitting down when I do diag, so it's either at the cart or in the front seat.

Now that I've said that, I jinxed myself and will be breaking laptops by the dozen......

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Quote:
Now that I've said that, I jinxed myself and will be breaking laptops by the dozen......

Beat me to it!!!!Thanks for stopping by. I think something good happened and everything I have told the guys about this site is starting to sink in. Pretty weird though Tim ordering your manual not long ago and here you come into our shop.