trucksMelted standpipes

Rate this topic

I have a f-450 with a fried engine.Customer complaint truck over

heats and gauge pegs out.Verified concern and pulled codes.Had a p040d.egot code.For shits and giggles called the hotline.Told me to remove oil filter and inspect for melted filter standpipe.Well,did that and sure enough it is toast.That means a new engine for this one.I thought this thing would derate,but customer drove truck two weaks with concern and nothing ever happened.Yes,I don't know how he drove it overheating for that long either.Checked warranty claims and found was at the dealer he bought it from,with the same complaint a week prior.Said in story they could not duplicate concern.BS if you ask me.In story they had same code as me!If anyone gets this code check the oil filter standpipe first.

The plastic that the standpipe is made out of melts at 350... I've seen several like that so far...

One other thing about the 6.4 and continuing to drive it with warning indicators in the customer's face - Had one that blew a turbo seal. Started pumping oil into the exhaust, and eventually the engine died. Towed to the shop, 1 quart of oil in the pan, and one quart in the CAC. Bearings trashed, metal scattered, time for a motor.

Come to find out that the low oil pressure indicator is a green oil can icon in the message center. Green! WTF?! And the transmission range indicators are red.

Now that's thinking there!

Of course, the 6.4 will quite merrily run without oil pressure until mechanical failure occurs....

I have found it strange how they set up the warning indicators and what sends it into derate mode. exhaust temp too high, derate mode. egt open circuit, derate mode. egrt sensor open circuit, derate mode. if it has low fuel pressure it goes into derate. if eot exceeds 275 it will go into derate. but if it is overheating it will keep right on going until it completely melts down. why do they let it do this. they need to come out with a reflash that will shut these engines down at lower temps. this will save alot of engines since they cant seem to fix the radiator issue with them.