strange debris in oil cooler?

Rate this topic

Have one that is mixing oil in coolant.removed oil cooler to inspect.Found what looks like gray little pieces of plastic sticking out one end.Anyone seen this before?Is this a sign of cooler failure?

It has been a long time since I have had to mess with one of those coolers and I never saw anything funky. This is a photo Bruce posted. Is this similar to what you have? Perhaps Mr. Bruce can re-elaborate on this picture as I don't know the original topic...

Posted Image

I can't think of where plastic chunks would come from, unless it had an aftermarket WP on it and the plastic impeller(?) came apart. Keep in mind that any crap the owner pours into the radiator could end up here.

When doing this job, bead blast the end castings and inspect the o-ring surface very closely. Lack of PH maintenance causes corrosion in the area and failure for the new o-rings to seal. We did a number of these oil-in-the-coolant complaints and my luck was not good on a couple of them. I changed my policies at the shop to reflect this and on subsequent jobs we changed the bundle and both end castings. This succeeded in preventing future comebacks.

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Quote:
can't think of where plastic chunks would come from

Has the surge tank been replaced recently? I have seen some flashing material from the injection molding still on new tanks.
Or another thought...What brand oil filter is on this engine? and have you cut it in half and inspected the contents?

Not to Hijack - but how does everyone press these things back together?

You have a shop gorilla that does it?

Looking for ideas for my next one.

First of all, I have seen that gray stuff a few times, but never was really concerned about it.

As far as getting the thing back together, I just use a couple pieces of wood and a decent size hammer. I also use a lot of lube on the o-rings. 1 Time I left the front piece on the engine. Then I hammered the back piece on the new cooler and used a big pry bar to get the cooler into the front piece.

They really don't pay much.

Hey removed the block heater element and found the stuff caked on the thing.Anyway,I press the oil cooler pieces together using the lift itself and a block of wood.Line it up and use the weight of the vehicle to push together.Lube parts up with vasaline.

Not to Hijack - but how does everyone press these things back together?

You have a shop gorilla that does it?

Looking for ideas for my next one.

Easy, international dealer down the street has a jig they made up for them that does it for us for $20