2003 6.0 oil leak

Rate this topic

what I thought would be a sweet icp and connector job went to a rear main oil leak,so I put the truck in the air and inspected, pulled that rubber piece out of the trans and out came about six litres of oil,ok this is different so I pulled the trans out and inspected to see what is going on,it looks like the seal let go so I go to remove it and the crankshaft moves alot, I get a dial gauge on it and it moves about 75 thou. How is this thing even running with that kind of play in the crankshaft? any one come across this? oh, and hear is the kicker, it only has 55000 km(34177mile)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe on the 6.0 that there is an adapter that is bolted to the crank and than the crank is machined. In the work shop manual they tell you to never disturb these bolts or the crank is scrap metal. Perhaps this adapter has come loose or the crank is broke or the thrust bearing is gone. In any case the engine has to come out. Whoa i just realized this is a bit of an old post. What did you find??

I just put a reman short block in an 05 6.0 F350 for crank endplay. It was leaking out the front seal, but was also cutting off the rearmost rib of the serpentine belt. Also it started to knock randomly at idle. The rear half of the thrust bearing skirt had broken? or worn off the bearing, allowing excess endplay. This was a reman long block with less than 50k on it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif