Using IDS as a generic scan tool

Rate this topic

I seem to be getting quite a few off-make vehicles coming in for various maintenance work lately. In my years with Ford, the only tool I've figured out how to use, would be the NGS with the green card, which we all know is now obsolete. Is there anyone out there, in the know, about using IDS as such a tool, if it is even in fact possible?

• 3 weeks later...

generic OBD2 functions were asked for back in 2005 during the beta of IDS and as you can see what the answer was. we also asked for one more cable, an EEC4 cable along with the software upgrade to do those old vehicles because alot of us still see those cars but Ford said no to that too.

You know what sucks about that? I don't think that my dealership has an EEC4 scan tool. Imagine that! A FORD DEALER can't diagnose an EEC4 vehicle because Ford wont implement one into their Integrated Diagnostic System? I must say that is not integrating with the older technology. It could not be very hard at all.

I can understand FMC not giving us EEC4 in the IDS. First, how many EEC4's do we see these days? Around here, it's not many, and for the ones we do see, the NGS does a very good job. Yes, it would be handy to have an all-in-one tool, but there would be considerable software expense to do it. The cost is not justified.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif