Sick-O Turbo Cleaning

Rate this topic

I just purchased a wheel stud buffer from my MAC tool dude for cleaning around the pins for the VGT vanes in the turbine housing. He informed me that alot of other dealerships are purchasing sand blasters to clean the housings and it cuts down on the time to clean drastically. I thought, hey this is a good idea. Ran it by my service manager and he did the usual laugh and rolled his eyes in the back of his head. Fucker! So....I just recieved a sale flyer in the mail today for Princess Auto and I can purchase a whole complete floor model standing sand blaster cabinet for $155.00. So on Tuesday (payday) I'm going to buy this unit for myself and use it to clean turbo's.

So, I just wanted some thoughts on what you guys are using out there for cleaning these pieces of crap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

And another side note: Isn't it retarded that the centre housing for the 05's is $300.00 more than a whole freakin turbo and more labour intensive to repair? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif And Ford is saving money how? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Isn't it retarded that the centre housing for the 05's is $300.00 more than a whole freakin turbo and more labour intensive to repair? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif And Ford is saving money how? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

That is messed up. I had to double take the price quote I had printed up when I saw it.

I phoned Princess Auto after I posted this topic and secured one. I will be picking it up Tuesday night after work. Can't wait.

I'll just have to get my electronic labeler out and put the same sign on it as I put on all my other equipment: PROPERTY OF DWAYNE GORNIAK. FUCK OFF AND GO USE THE SHOP'S EQUIPMENT! Other techs used to grab my battery charger untill I put that sign on it. I work with some of the cheapest bastards you could probably ever work with. They will file a screwdriver down to a punch or a chisel before they will go to Peavey Mart and buy a set of punches and chisels for $9.00. And that's no bull.

I prefer glass bead, as it is less invasive and does not change the finish the way sand does. Just a personal opinion. I am fortunate enough to have two blast cabinets at the shop- one for sand and one for glass bead. We usually use sand on nasty stuff and glass on aluminum and finer stuff.

If you only have sand, then sand is the way to go.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/coffee.gif

make sure that anything you put into it is DRY or you'll wind up with a sandy goo mess.

and don't glass bead / sandblast any moving parts that can't be disassembled to clean.

So, your sayin to sandblast the compressor housing and the unison ring? Have you had any success sandblasting these yourself? I would like to figure out whether to to purchase glass beads or sand before I pick the unit up tomorrow night.

Originally Posted By: eastendpowerstroke
make sure that anything you put into it is DRY or you'll wind up with a sandy goo mess.

and don't glass bead / sandblast any moving parts that can't be disassembled to clean.

So, your sayin to sandblast the compressor housing and the unison ring? Have you had any success sandblasting these yourself? I would like to figure out whether to to purchase glass beads or sand before I pick the unit up tomorrow night.

I think I misread and missunderstood your post. Looking at it now, it looks like you are telling me just simply not to blast any moving parts such as the vanes maybe? How about the unison ring, do you just buff it or do you glass bead that as well?

I think he's saying not to blast the CHRA, as you can't disassemble it to clean stray abrasive from it. It's fine to blast the vanes, unison ring, and exhaust housing, after you've disassembled them of course. As for the exhaust housing, I just blast the area around the pins. You can blast the whole frigging thing to make it pretty if you like, but who looks at it? Clean the CHRA surface where the unison ring rides with a whizzer pad, but be sure to cover the turbine wheel up with a Caplug or tape it well to prevent stray abrasive from hanging around under the wheel.

I prefer glass beading because it does not alter the surface of the metal being blasted. Sand does leave a "roughness" that was not there prior. Like I said before, glass is best, but sandblasting is probably better than a whizzer pad.

IH says minimum 20 mile road test after it's done. Too bad FMC won't pay you to do this..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I found this in a jacket pocket when I was packing up to head off on vacation.

Quote:

Engine Boosting Systems

Turbocharger Installation Instructions

IMPORTANT: Neither the turbine or compressor housing are adjustable.

DO NOT LOOSEN OR ATTEMPT TO RE-ORIENT EITHER HOUSING

DAMAGE TO INTERNAL MECHANISM MAY RESULT.

CAUTION: Failure to follow these instructions can result in premature turbocharger failure and warranty denial.

Now, am I reading this wrong, or does Garrett want is to leave the turbocharger together?

Since they revised this TSB, the revised version of 08-16-13 states in step 9,c: NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMP TO CLEAN RUST OR CORROSION, OR PITTING FROM THE CENTER HOUSING FLANGE OR HUB.

So with that being said, we should be replacing the center housing anyway and only cleaning the compressor housing, vanes, and unison ring.

Thanks for the tips Bruce. Glass beads it is.

Originally Posted By: DwayneGorniak
Isn't it retarded that the centre housing for the 05's is $300.00 more than a whole freakin turbo and more labour intensive to repair? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif And Ford is saving money how? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

That is messed up. I had to double take the price quote I had printed up when I saw it.

I agree 100%. Maybe the price savings comes at the Ford level(the price they pay, not the retail price). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gif

I think he's saying not to blast the CHRA, as you can't disassemble it to clean stray abrasive from it.

I prefer glass beading because it does not alter the surface of the metal being blasted. Sand does leave a "roughness" that was not there prior. Like I said before, glass is best, but sandblasting is probably better than a whizzer pad.

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

As Bruce said DON'T blast the CHRA or for that matter anything you can't disassemble, I glass beaded an old rusty set of dikes I found under a hood once and could not move them after that.... but they looked great /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I also prefer glass bead to sand as it will finish the surface smoother. Also be gentle blasting things such as the turbo vanes because over doing it will round the edges /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

That is both cruel and offensive /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gifAs I wrote that I figured that somebody would go there. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

I was referring to diagonal cutting pliers by the way, not old women living an alternate lifestyle

Got her all together last nite and got to use it on a Turbo first thing this morning. Man, I wish I would have had this thing for all the others. Five more turbo jobs at my wage and it is paid for. After that, it is nothing but money in the bank. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Just imagine how quickly this tool would be paid off if the shop had purchased it and all the techs had use of it. Amazing, isn't it, that the tool was a smart purchase out of a techs take home pay, but the shop just can't justify the purchase. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

My Snap-on guy was here yesterday and was in total shock that the shop wouldn't buy a $155.00 tool to make us more efficient. He couldn't stop laughing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif

talking about shops being cheep. my shop doesnt own a complete IDS kit. the only complete kit is mine from being a beta tester. the shop does own 2 VCM's. cant wait to see the look on their faces if my plans come through in the next 3-6 months and i can retire my tools and move on to another profession, the IDS goes with me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif