IBC not up to snuff?

Rate this topic

Anybody having complaints about integrated brake controllers not suppling enough juice to the trailer? I have just spoke with a driver that was complaining about this issue. This is the 2nd guy in one week. Both of these guys say that the trailers work fine on other trucks. I had a couple earlier in the summer same issue and was unable to make the factory controller grip up any better. The second one that came in had already been to a couple of other dealers and they had changed the controller (twice) and the trailer plug. He had just had all new brakes installed on his trailer before he came to see us. They tested the current draw with a trailer tester before they sent him on his way and told him it was all good. After the second one had been long gone, an engineer called checking to see if the transducer I changed made it work better. He seemed to be suggesting that this is becoming an issue. When this guy was pulling out I did notice that his trailer had a third brake light installed on it, his turn signal was on and the other tail lamp and the third was on signalling braking at the same time. I was thinking that the third brake lamp might be wired to the electric brake wire, although the controller didn't show a trailer fault as I would think it should. I think that would interfere with the feedback pulse. I havent been able to come up with an answer for any of these guys. Any suggestions?

Build dates can be crucial here..... the early TBCs would limit brake current under something like 15 km/h and this was a bone of contention for quite some time.

Word of advice for all.... we should, everyone of us, realize how important it is to give appropriate information....

Anyway, used to be that this difference was easily found in the WSM.... but now it took a while to find this reference in the 05 online manual "The braking energy that is provided to the trailer is varied with a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal that switches between 0 volt and battery voltage, the higher the duty cycle the more braking power available. On vehicles built before March 23rd, 2005, with the vehicle stationary and with the manual slider switch fully to the left with a gain of 10, there should be greater than 1-2 volts supplied to pin 3 of the 7-pin trailer tow connector, along circuit 43 (DB). On vehicles built March 23rd, 2005 and later, with the vehicle stationary and with the manual slider switch fully to the left with a gain of 10, there should be greater than 10-12 volts supplied to pin 3 of the 7-pin trailer tow connector, along circuit 43 (DB)."

I also heartily recommend taking WBT (web based training course) 30G12W0 to help with learning about this system....

FWIW... Ford recognized that the early controllers weren't up to snuff.... unfortunately, they took the stance that the controllers were working as intended and that it was a case of "too bad, so sad". If one of the early controllers was replaced under warranty, the service part replacement would be a late controller.... However, the poorly thought out strategy is not a reason for replacement...

Of course, all of this is dependant on the fact that we are discussing an early build '05. If we aren't discussing an early build '05... I apologize for wasting ones time (yes... that IS dripping with sarcasm... don't worry, my bark is worse than my bite).

I read a memo from the trailer mfg. The IBC is not compatable with the electric over hydraulic trailer systems used on the large travel trailers with disc brake on them. The memo also states the owner should contact their Ford dealer for installation of a compatable hang on controller and bypass the IBC, I have not seen anything from FMC regarding this issue. Also note General Motors vehicles have the very same issues with their 2008 Trucks with the IBC. I found this out at a campground with some friends, their truck would not apply the trailer brakes, made for an interesting ride. We swapped trailers for the trip home and both worked flawlessly. Bottom line is the IBC is not compatable with the microprocessor controlled trailer systems.