lcf no power and runs rough on cold start

Rate this topic

i have a lcf that has 22,000 miles on it and on cold starts it runs rough and has no power, i have replaced a couple of injectors and it came back a week later with the same concern but not consistant with a cylinder. i tried the reprogram but i am not sure it took. i am just wondering after that reprogram are the injectors suppost to cycle after the engine is turned off like the 6.0 did or how do u know when it has taken the program and also i have just about checked all i know, it runs fine after it warms up, do any of you have any suggestions, this is the only lcf i have had problems like this and i am gettin feed up

If you are able to go through your get, send, recieve and program without flagging any errors, you know the program took. Some of the earlier 4.5s will get a post buzz, but I reprogrammed a 2008 last week, and it did not end up with post buzz. Each program is specific to the ESN. Have you run an automatic injector disable test with the engine cold?

Quote:
If you are able to go through your get, send, receive and program without flagging any errors, you know the program took.

Actually, not necessarily true. A recent repair on an LCF I made included the buzz bomb flash. Long story short, I forgot to disconnect the ABS and transmission modules. NETS went through the flash process without any errors.* but when I ran the truck it did not cycle the injectors. Back tracking my steps I realized what I had forgotten to do.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

*After doing it the right way I realized that the process was not complete but none the less, I did not get any error codes.

That's odd... I have never had to disconnect a TCM or ABS module on an LCF... I thought it only needed to be done with F-650s and F-750s.

This is a quoted from TSB 07-01-05 "FOR F-650 / F-750 ONLY: BEFORE PROGRAMMING, VERIFY ALL ABS CONNECTORS (IF EQUIPPED), AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONNECTORS (IF EQUIPPED), AND HYDROMAX MOTORS (IF EQUIPPED) ARE DISCONNECTED."

If you forget to disconnect either module on an F-650 or F-750, NETS will actually come up with an error that says the modules were not disconnected.

I also forgot to mention that I was told some time ago by the MD hotline that if you are having issues with setting errors while reprogramming, select "blank or new module" instead of "reprogram module" as a last resort when performing the "GET" function. You will need to retrieve the engine hours, mileage and fuel used from MD truck prior to peforming a blank module program.

That's odd... I have never had to disconnect a TCM or ABS module on an LCF... I thought it only needed to be done with F-650s and F-750s.

This is a quoted from TSB 07-01-05 "FOR F-650 / F-750 ONLY: BEFORE PROGRAMMING, VERIFY ALL ABS CONNECTORS (IF EQUIPPED), AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CONNECTORS (IF EQUIPPED), AND HYDROMAX MOTORS (IF EQUIPPED) ARE DISCONNECTED."

If you forget to disconnect either module on an F-650 or F-750, NETS will actually come up with an error that says the modules were not disconnected.

I have always been in the habit of disconnecting the modules regardless of whether it's an Medium F-Series or an LCF right from the beginning. I know of the TSB and the quoted information you posted, I also knowhow the networks are set up on the LCF. You shouldnt have to disconnect either the TCM or the ABS...

but...

Since you made your post I pulled my training book and went through it because I remember something about this and my notes were good! It was recommended to us to disconnect the other modules when reprogramming the ECM and the FICM. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the NETS software display the same warning? I don't remember as I can go a few months without seeing either an LCF or a medium F-Series. Then I seem to get whacked!

Any way, I seem to always have issues when I don't disconnect at least the TCM on an LCF during module reprogramming. MAybe it's something else I am doing - or not doing for that matter. Now you did it! I'm lookin for an LCF to play with!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the NETS software display the same warning?

It certainly does display the same warning... so there is no correcting anybody. I have never disconnected either module on an LCF, where one of my co-workers always does... and we have the same success ratio when it comes to programming them. But, next time you have a 650 or 750 to flash, just try it without disconnecting one or both of the modules... it won't let you proceed...