Misbuilt bottom end

Rate this topic

I have a 6.4l in with 500 miles on the clock and it's knocking away. It was delivered through a different dealer by one of our salesmen for rebate issues, it was delivered with the damn knocking noise. Ok here comes the fse and ford and international say check for foriegn debris on top of the piston. To add to that they say if it's in there it will most likely be 3/4 of an inch. What the hell kind of quality control is this? How do you miss a 3/4" piece of metal floating around in a motor? After tearing out the injectors to boroscope it with no avail, I'm told to tear down the motor until I find something. Off come the heads, and sure as shit there's a perfect witness mark on the piston that looks like four valves. Out comes the motor to check the bottom end. There's a 1/16" gap on one of the rod ends. After complete inspection there are 2 rods that were either fractured wrong or switched with different caps. They are number properly and installed with proper orientation but dont come close to fitting. How is it that we can be expected to fix things that arn't built right in the first place? Apparently they laid of the whole quality control division at IH. Now I have to argue with the fse to give me a complete drop in motor. To be completely honest, my 6.4l experience has been limited to hp pumps and cover gaskets and they're trying to get me to put a crank in this thing. I hate being diesel certified. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

I had the luxury of doing another set of rockers from lot-rot. The better part of the story is that the sale-lady drove down to st. loius to pick it up as apart of a dealer trade. The selling dealer had the truck sitting for 6 months. THE TRADING DEALER GAVE HER THE TRUCK WITH THE BROKEN ROCKERS AND DEAD MISFIRE ON #2 CYLINDER /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif. SHE thought it was normal and drove 200-300(dont know how far exactly) miles back to our dealer. Another sales guy got in it and said WTF. She thought the new diesels were suppost to vibrate like that.

I was kind of upset that the trading dealer took advantage of the sales ladies un-education. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Just to update I got to finish tearing it apart this morning. 2 spun bearing on cyl 5 and 7 and if you take the rod ends off and switch them them fit perfect. But in fairness, they were both labeled number 5. Turns out they even need to idiot proof the job you're paid to do all day. Thanks IH and FoMoCo never wonder why your diesel techs hate their jobs. But remember to fix their mistakes right the first time, ok guys?

Yesterday our sales department had us turn a new Edge SEL into an Edge "Limited" with a simple emblem swap.

And they wonder why people don't trust car salesmen

LMAO!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Just a quick update. FSE got approval for a direct drop in replacement. Awesome because honestly, I'm really not very confident in putting this thing back together, due to limited experience. After relay this joy to my service manager I came in this morning with the notion of sticking in a new motor and cranking this thing out of here. Not the case, service manager decides that our 126 is too high and I'm putting pistons and rods and a crank in it. As well as replacing the valve on 2 cylinders. This is sweet