no start /fuel contamination 2008/6.4

Rate this topic

Well had a 6.4 no start came from another dealer found cause was water in fuel condemned not warranty /costumer given a bill estimated for all injector and pump. Flipped out /when I got it I drained fuel tank/replaced filters/secondary filter poured fuel conditioner in bowel ran fuel supply to 5 gallon tank new fuel removed right side valve cover disconected FRP sensor/bled system cranked over with bleeders open back to 5 gallon and then after a while of cranking started rough four about 10 min then came back to life saved the costumer a load of cash /I didn’t see any loll

This all goes back to Ford shitty W.I.F. design. Wouldn't you think that since they beat over our head's so much about quality fuel that they would design a WAY better sensor /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif. They have a fricken sensor for Every little thing on this engine. I think they should come out with a recall and give us a better sensor. IMHO.

This all goes back to Ford shitty W.I.F. design. I think they should come out with a recall and give us a better sensor. IMHO.

Maybe in their make believe world, fuel really is of good quality and a pint of water is never seen. In the real world however, the fuel filter should hold over a quart of water (if you ask me).

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I Like the avatar, Terrance...the problem with the 6.4 is there is no tolerance for anything but good,clean fuel...with the older ford diesels you can run transmission fluid and be fine,i used to prime the spin on fuel filter with ATF every day,but i ain't seen an IDI 6.9 or 7.3 in years...too busy doing warrany work on 6.0's and 6.4's,but its work, and i feel fortunate to have a job in these trying economical times...

Had a 6.4 a few weeks ago,guy got some fuel with water in it,along with dirt and sand,took out the high pressure pump in a sandblast kind of way,came in as a no start.Insurance company picked up the bill,turned out to be a good job all the way around...$$$$$$$

Still can't get used to the 6.4,cringe every time i get one.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

There is something we appear to have missed.... don't get me wrong, we had a water in fuel concern not too long ago... Saved the owner a humongous chunk of change by just getting rid of the contaminated fuel....

And now he is back with running concerns... "Oh no - it was doing this BEFORE the water".... Ayup....

Now... we can handle this in a way that makes us look like assholes.... the water MAY have damaged a lot of stuff.... we should change this stuff and get the customer back to square one.... I'm an asshole and I have money in my jeans....

Or... I can save the customer a bunch of money and forget to think about tomorrow or next month or next year.... What it boils down to, in the end, is that I will still look like an asshole.... but there will be no money in my jeans.

Of course, if Ford has been notified and proper record keeping done and all the other "good" stuff (whatever 'good' stuff we might find in a serious WIF invasion), this post might not be necessary....

Bottom line... if you are going to look like an asshole... at least look like a rich one....

The way I handle Water In Fuel situation is to drain tank clean lines and change filters first. If it saves the engine then good. If not I then start changing injectors and fuel pumps and what not but I try to save the customer some money first. 9 times out of 10 that all it needs. There are those rare instances where injectors start falling left and right or the pump needs to be changed.

One tech in the shop had a company truck that put in trash fuel and he had to install a pump and a couple of injectors. The truck ran smooth and he let it go. Came back a couple of days later and the company put the same fuel back into the truck which caused alot of problems and they had to cough up alot of money the second time around. All injectors, pump, filters and sending unit.