1999 frightliner 3126 stalling

Rate this topic

ok I need some help with this.

I was asked by a Buddie to look at his truck, he just replaced an injector for a skip/miss and now it wont start ( he told me with ether it will start and runs normally for about 1-2 Min's then just shut off.

Any of this sound familiar to the CAT pros what should I be looking for beyond the basic oil quality/quantity, fuel check eng light?

I haven't looked at the truck yet and I no longer have access to ET to check for any codes or monitor pid data (a long story about a destroyed laptop).

Anybody know of any cheap of free software to use the Cat or Cummings adapters as a basic scan tool?

Check fuel pressure, it sounds like that's your problem. I'm certainly no Cat expert, but there should be a plug on the fuel filter/primer pump housing to check it at.

J1708/J1587 is the same bus and language across all HD truck lines. I hooked IH's Master Diagnostics to a 3126 one time and told it we were working on a DT. All data looked correct (ICP, temps, RPM, DTC's etc) but the bidirectional controls wouldn't work. I would look at it, but would not bet money on it. Do you have MD on your laptop?

Anybody know of any cheap of free software to use the Cat or Cummings adapters as a basic scan tool?

Not really. Auto Tap for Trucks is fair at best, pulling DTCs and limited data with no bidirectional control. $699 with a cable and works on all lines.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It may be coincidence but probably not. If the truck was running before you swapped out injectors and now it won't fire. What did the other injector look like, Carbon past the seat, broken orings, loose not seated? Did you clean the cup before reinstalling the injector, have you checked the return for aeration, cut or broke oring from install, have seen it alot of cut orings causing all kinds of havoc. Just seems weird that the truck won't fire after just replacing a injector, I'd be looking right back at that injector. Also double check to make sure the hold downs are tight.

The owner is a long time family and my personal friend, and we both would like to keep it that way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif As a result of that I'm generally the last person asked for help so I didn't install the injector.

what I did find is that the guy that did left out the domed piece on the top of the injector that seals to the oil line resulting in a HP oil leak I believe is causing the no start.

the shot of either would kick it up enough to fire but as soon as the oil warned up a little it shut off and wouldn't re fire.

he is going to try to get a replacement today and we will try again. thanks guys

ok it's fixed the missing seat for the oil line to the injector was the cause, glad I didnt put it in. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gifserves him right for letting a guy that works with Cummins stuff all day touch a CAT motor

Thanks again guys /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif