Case in point

Rate this topic

EGR valve with 15 miles of use. DTCs P0404,P0405,P1335. Clogged valve and ports.

I replaced the valve and cleaned the ports,vacuumed the intake, etc, etc.

To actually fix the problem the intake had to be removed. The cooler is also being replaced as the front portion is clogged and filled with carbon marbles.

With these engines I do not believe there are ANY shortcuts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

For some reason we are only seeing this type of clogage now, and I know that it has been know of for some time - doesn't make sense I know. I am not sure I took pictures of the black-eyed peas rolling around in an EGR valve I pulled but I did photograph the plugged intake port.

Nice picture - good topic! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

...but, the shortcut I believe you are speaking about is the discussion about sneaking an EGR cooler out of an Econoline. When it comes to EGR carbon and plugging you are bound to the TSB on an initial repair. Like you I have had trucks return with this problem. THEN you need to pull the intake and cooler for inspection.

Now, if you want dispute the EGR cooler short cut you could ask "how will you test the oil cooler for restriction with the intake, oil filter adapter and the turbocharger still installed?" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Black eyed peas, I love it!

I have done a few of these but they were discovered while doing HPOP repairs, and they had not yet effected valve operation.

Greg, this cooler was dry as a bone, no coolant use whatsoever. If a cooler were to fail it is my belief that this would be the starting point, with the cooler clogged with carbon the exhaust would have restricted flow which would concentrate exhaust temps in the cooler, eventually causing the failure of the tubes due to the temp increase and the inefficientcies of the cooler.

The cause of the carbon?

Extended idle times. I don't think this truck once started is shut off except at the end of the day, it is a delivery truck.

Kieth,

My only issue with the shortcuts is that much can be missed while performing them, resulting in comebacks.

I have seen 2 trucks in this shop came back for these issues within days of techs performing the cooler "slide in" shortcut.

This unit came in with a low power/smoking concern which I obviously and correctly diaged as an EGR concern, and addressed as well as could be hoped for without taking off the intake but as can be seen it was already to far gone.

Luckily the new valve failed on my test drive and not after the customer had the truck returned to him.

As I said, if there are techs that can shortcut and can live with it, more power to them I just believe that many problems are overlooked that way and additional damage can be created.

That being said I believe a newbie SHOULD perform the job according to the service manual until they are famaliar with the procedures and has gained enough experience to be comfortable performing the job.

As was explained to me while attending H-D service school so many years ago...

"We are teaching you the correct way to perform a repair/service and accept that when you gain experience in the field you will find your own way, however since you don't currently know shit, you will do it according the the factory procedures".