Using personal laptops as an IDS.

Rate this topic

EECGeek

Our ingenious IT bonehead has not been allowing us to use our personal laptops as an IDS for a while now stating security risks that Ford told him were too high. I found out today what that was, he says that they don't want to be responsible if my laptop infected a car with a virus. I don't think this is even possible, anybody know what operating system our PCMs use?

You should ask your I.T. guy what kind of Internet security program if any is on the shop units. I know where I work, the 2 shop owned laptops have none, yet my personal IDS has Zone Alarm - making mine superior to the shop equipment in terms of safety.

I could understand if he didn't want your laptop tied into your shops Reynolds or ADP software for fear of breaching personal customer information, but this is ridiculous. Since when does a wiener I.T. guy have the authority to tell a technician what he (or she) can't use to fix a vehicle? Since when did your I.T. guy become knowledgeable in the area of what specific malicious code can affect automotive processors? Why would Ford even contact your I.T. guy and tell him that dealership owned laptops are safer? He's full of shit, if Ford really thought that, they wouldn't sell VCM's to technicians. I'd challenge him on it, and ask him exactly what would happen if a car did get a virus... Would the instrument cluster start flashing advertisements for penis enlargement pills??? perhaps he needs a reminder that he is there to support YOU... Not the other way around. And perhaps he could even benefit from such an advertisement flashing from the message center on his car, obviously he's just doing this to feel like a "big man" because there are areas where he really isn't.

Personally, I'd tell him to smoke a turd

Our ingenious IT bonehead has not been allowing us to use our personal laptops as an IDS for a while now stating security risks that Ford told him were too high. I found out today what that was, he says that they don't want to be responsible if my laptop infected a car with a virus. I don't think this is even possible, anybody know what operating system our PCMs use?

Tell your IT guy he is a Douche Bag and to go cleanse himself because he really full of crap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

I have had this arguement with Ford and I-Connect before and they said it was basically because they didn't want any non I-connect computers on their I-connect system whatsoever.

So here is how you can get around your IT guy. I-connect offered instructions on how to isolate your personal computers from their system. You just have to have a second Internet address and an ethernet switch (Isolation Router) and a wireless router. When you're on that second wireless system, you have absolutely didly squat to do with I-connect. In fact, here is the link to I-Connects Policy about it: https://www.inford.dealerconnection.com/iconnect/ViewPDF.asp?NewsID=154

This information is all found on the Inford homepage. So print it off and tell your IT guy to shove it up his ars! And if you want information on how to hook it all up, I'll gladly post it.

Ohh yeah. I hope I was of some help.

Just grab the next ids disk and install it on your lap top!!! I did it and no on cares... Even the dealer primary has said nothing about it seeing me use it in the shop... It is way better then him having to buy another laptop for the shop, no cost no upkeep nothing... I am using a dell vostro 1400 and in all respects but two is better the the panasonic!! No touch screen and not dropable... but I got the extra no question asked warranty, it does not matter what I do to it, it is fixed or replace at no cost, and I have used it!! I also do not use my laptop for any "file sharing" programs like lime wire or kazaa to keep things trouble free.

Like I said the guy is a complete f^%&%$g bonehead!!! But he is also the owners son, and he wants to be the guy that saved the world (or at least his sad little world) from this new frontier of virus infections. And customer info, like VINs or repair order numbers and milage....OMG!!

I don't have Reynolds on my laptop nor do I want it. I just use the IDS software and some of the Ford Manual DVDs on my laptop for the old vehicles ie older than 10 years which ford doesn't seem to care about any more, and I use a Excel spreadsheet to track my hours that I make, plus I am a H&S Rep, so there's all that stuff.

Plus both IDS's have one USB port that doesn't work, so without my laptop we wouldn't have been able to update radio/sync software....I know you can use a USB stick, but shhhh don't tell them that!!!!

And since he won't let me connect my laptop to the network, so I purchased Roger's Internet on A Stick, cost's me $40 a month but I easily make that back with time saved. And oh ya lets me browse the internet, because he has that restricted too!!

Quote:
Tell your IT guy he is a Douche Bag and to go cleanse himself because he really full of crap.

Oh how I would love to, but than he would go tell his Daddy!!!!

Greg is this Pat or Chris telling you all that crap, i'll guess that is Pat.I,ve worked for that Soucy family for 14 years ,Lucky for you thatyoudid not work for the "old man" Claude's father. I can imagine all the bullshit they can say just to look smart.

Wow. you're good, it's Pat. He has good intentions and he has done a lot of good work to the Network, but he thinks the network has to be Fort Knox worthy. I not sure if he knows but no matter how big and strong you make the wall, some one can still take it down!!!!!

I really hate to publicly/privately bash them, but this situation is so absurd, that I had to get your guys opinions.

Looks like I was right this totally absurd, I wish they would get the message and just let me make them more boat loads of money, without jumping through so many god dam hoops!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see that the new version of IDS (59) will work with Windows XP Home now. What about all that crap they gave us about having to use XP Pro for these same security issues? I think they are more worried about somebody getting ahold of their precious proprietary software than anything else.

this is a little late but tell your so called IT guy to share the crack pipe he's been smoking, that way you can try and better understand his thinking. he sounds like he knows just about as much about IT as he does about fixing cars

Did you see that the new version of IDS (59) will work with Windows XP Home now. What about all that crap they gave us about having to use XP Pro for these same security issues? I think they are more worried about somebody getting ahold of their precious proprietary software than anything else.

umm yeah, unlocking XP Home is a bandaid for now. the reason i was told why it wasnt ok'd at first, well im not too sure i agree. Ford has no plans of supporting Vista ever. i would love to tell the reason why but cant. as a beta tester ive been told to not say anything.