p0087 and p2291

Rate this topic

Very cold snap here, 30 below for two days, i have two units that quit on road with these code p0087 and p2291. Fuel was gelling, added ford gel improver and vehicle were in shop all night , re fill with fresh fuel , clear code all ok this morning. High pressure pump pressure back to normal and low pressure ok. Could this have cause any damaged or should i look for any other things, note fuel filters also have been replaced.

Fuel gelling will cause a lack of fuel pressure which the 6.4L does not tolerate. So, I doubt the engine would have run at all or not at all leaving little chance for fuel pressure related damage to occur. I am not aware of any known issues with this common rail system regarding pressure as I stated... perhaps someone else can add to this. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

I just got off the phone with hotline. They think I have a bad PCV or VCV solinoid. He said that is common with a 6.4 that will stall when warm and re-start after sitting.

His suggestion is to get the engine hot, and then check the resistance of the PCV and VCV solinoids. If it is over 10 ohms I have a bad solinoid.

He said that the PCM will not store a DTC until the resistance is over 100 ohms.

I hope this helps. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Well I got that 6.4 really really hot and checked the PCV and VCV. The resistance was 3.4, 3.9 ohms. I think those solinoids are fine. I ended up putting some anti-gel in the tank, and road tested it. I'm thinking it was just gelling fuel. I never did duplicate the problem. At least its Friday. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

-24 here, no problems that I have seen yet.

Knock on wood, I will go to head out here in a few minutes and my truck won't start.

Aaron,

I think the peolpe where you live might be a little better educated about using anti-gel products in thier diesels. You Canadians are probably still driving around with the windows down in -24. Posted Image

I had to move the HOT/COLD selector a little more out of the blue range and a little more into the overlapping blue/red range, you know, in the middle? I think they call it 'Warm'? Posted Image

Still haven't cranked the windows up yet.

i had a friend call me bout his 6.4L that stalled last week when we had the stupid cold. Told him to check fuel filters (he forgets that stuff) told meit was gelled up. Told him to put anti-gel and bring it to his shop to let it warm up over night. Worked like a charm next morning.

This stuff has to happen up in canada doesnt it?