New Tuner

Rate this topic

• 5 years later...

Yes, actually.  It's too bad you had such a bad experience, this product is actually quite a high quality item.  As far as I know, it's the only 'power enhancement module' available over the parts counter at any auto dealer, with the full blessing of the OEM. 

As far as I know, it's the only 'power enhancement module' available over the parts counter at any auto dealer, with the full blessing of the OEM. 

Care to back that statement up with proof where it applies to Ford?  To the best of my knowledge Ford does not endorse or approve the use of ANY aftermarket performance devices.

Anything in the way of performance parts that Ford "approves of" can be found in the Motorsport catalog in a package bearing a Ford logo. A disclaimer regarding its use on street vehicles is usually accompanying it. 

Two of the cardinal rules of performance - there is no replacement for displacement - and - don't mess with your daily driver.  :grampy:

PSI is the new replacement for displacement :D

We're gonna put the overdrive pulley on the snake prolly next month. The puller cost more than the pulley. Neither is in the Motorsport catalog, yet.

While on this topic...  I have to vent a little... 

One of the things that I have discovered at my new dealership is that the previous diesel tech was a huge advocate of tuners, DPF removals (I hate the word "delete", as it is merely and attempt to make it sound like a factory option)...  I have people coming in left, right and center with the stooopidest complaints.  I had a guy with no DPF and a tuner complaining of a lack of power, to which I replied I won't even attempt to look at it unless you reinstall the pollution control devices and the factory tune.  I did drive the truck, and it just about gave me whiplash when I took off.  I'm working on a 2008 6.4 right now, with DieselCare ESP.  We all know DieselCare for a 6.4 isn't cheap.  I believe it's over $5000.  The engine is dusted AND has a burnt piston.  It also has a tuner, no DPF and a shitty AFE intake.  We told the customer straight up that he is on the hook for all the diagnosis and tear down unless Ford authorizes the claim.  The guy was pissed.  As it turns out, this engine was already replaced once in 2011, and the "tech" who replaced the engine actually took it to a performance shop just up the road from us and had the tuner installed on the post repair roadtest!  The customer told us that said "tech" said not to worry about warranty implications, because nobody will ever know if he keeps coming to us...  THEN I CAME ALONG! 

FWIW, the authorization for the engine repair is still under review, as Ford is reviewing IDS files AND sending an inspector.

That is a truly amazing tale there. This is what pisses me off about our business. I could give a rats ass about what people do to their trucks for the most part.  But as a professional technician, working at the dealership level I  (we) have to play by the rules which are perfectly acceptable. After all, if I was a manufacturer I certainly would never warranty my product after it was bastardized. Would you?  Furthermore, these "deletes" and other modifications change the way many systems on the engine behave and interact. I wouldn't expect any of us to be able to properly diagnose a symptom on an vehicle that has been changed.  I say, take it to the people who made the changes and are presumably familiar with the modifications... ut oh! It was done at your dealership? :ohnoes: Good luck with that one Alex!

As a disclaimer, the stuff I am talking about is GT500 mustang and the products being used are emission compliant and retain all of the factory smog equipment, with the exception of replacement catalytic converters since the factory exhaust gets replaced. But they are compliant.

Except for the Shelby 1000 but it is marketed as an off road vehicle only. Never built one of those though.

It wasn't physically done at our dealership, nor was anybody at our dealership aware of what was going on until we were informed by the customer...  but it was done on the recommendation of our previous technician.  I am not worried about luck on this one.  I have full support of my management when it comes to matters of modifications and the stand I take against them, which I made perfectly clear during my hiring process. 

I don't really care what people do to their trucks once they are out of warranty, but I did get burned by a programer on a 6.4 the other day. Guy towed it in cause the throttle pedal would become unresponsive and the truck would idle at 1300 rpms. He told me that it had a delete kit and a programmer. The guy owns a body shop that does some mechanical work. The truck had been to at least one maybe two other shops and all they did was throw an accelerator pedal and tell him that his ebp sensor had codes, "but wasn't an issue". I pulled codes, had a ebp code, and a vref B high code. Cleared them out and took it for a ride. Truck ran beautifully except that they ebp_A pid was reading right around 40 psi all the time. Went back to the shop, did the pinpoint test to verify a bad sensor, plugged it back in and the sensor was reading normal. Replaced the sensor and tube, and my shop drove the truck about 40 miles and the throttle never acted up and the codes never came back. Guy took the truck, paid the bill. Called about 3 days later, the throttle went dead once for him the other night. He drove the truck back in, I hopped in it with the IDS and grabbed the dpf pressure and temp pids. Found that with foot on the brake I was reading 0.4 volts and with foot off the brake I had 4.8 volts. Managed to find that they vref wire for the dpf sensor was broken and shorting to the right turn for the trailer tow back by the front fuel tank strap. Once I found the dpf reading so weird I pulled out the programmer. By the time I found the wires I had a code set for dpf pressure sensor intermittent. If I had pulled the program out right away the first time I would have had that code in a matter of minutes instead of wasting 2 hours investigating the throttle circuit and chasing wires.

Alright...  The verdict is in...  The repair has been denied by ESP, which I didn't doubt would happen...  But the denial was due to the air intake causing the dusting of the engine, and nothing to do with the tuner.

Alright...  The verdict is in...  The repair has been denied by ESP, which I didn't doubt would happen...  But the denial was due to the air intake causing the dusting of the engine, and nothing to do with the tuner.

Of course. :rolleyes:

Now, the fit is hitting the shan.  :hitfan: ...  The customer is stating that we ripped him off when we sold him the DieselCare.  Threatening legal action because the modifications were made at the suggestion of my predecessor.  We told him to go after the people that make the air filter... I suppose that would make too much sense. :crazy:

Thats not suprising....love how the first person to blame isnt himself

And this is really at the heart of the matter. I am not totally opposed to modding any vehicle - it's hot rodding or customizing your ride to be unique or to fit your needs. I get it. But honestly, some of these people get some bad advice, do things that are totally unnecessary or have no clue what they are doing and screw it up. But it was THIER decision to do it. Not yours, not Ford Motor Company's 

If this clown goes after the Airaid  people all they have to do is say that it must have been installed incorrectly or damaged and walk away from it. Who was the last person to touch it? Were the clamps tight? Is the filter just a piece of crap? .

When I first went to work for this dealer, we discussed this very subject. After each of us diesel techs talked with the DP, the official stance became one of not selling tuners and intakes since this was demonstrating an approval (of sorts) of the device(s) in question. It's not very tactful to sell a tuner or intake and then tell your customer it's "his" fault his warranty is null.

Sadly, lift kits, levelling kits and cat back exhausts are still fair game but suspension repairs are easier when it comes to warranty approval. I my experience, it is never the accessory that is at fault, it is always the POS truck it is bolted to.

• 1 month later...

The job is finally finished!  It ended  up retail (with some pretty heavy discounting)...  No legal action.  I suppose he realized he didn't have a leg to stand on, especially when he told us that he takes the air filter out monthly to clean.  I couldn't get him to put the exhaust and factory tune back, so I don't imagine this thing will last too long, as the boost guage pegs at 40 psi plus with a second of hitting the accelerator to the floor, and spins the 19.5" duals with no problem at all, leaving the traffic behind in a thick, black cloud of exhaust!