ssm 1977 new head cleaning video

Rate this topic

Steve Mutter

Worked OK for me Steve.... stupid, but it worked OK for me...

On an interesting side note.... "back in the day", we never saw some of the block deck/cylinder head concerns we see now. I seriously wonder what these things look like at the time of assembly.

Quality control sometimes appears as some etherial concept..

But I come from an era that espoused "zero defects".

• 1 month later...

I seriously wonder what these things look like at the time of assembly.

You and me both. Think bed plate sealing surface condition. Have you ever really looked closely at these cylinder heads? The milling is pretty rough on many of these engines. Rough enough that I seriously question why Ford is so adamant about non-abrasive cleaning procedures.

Fuckin bedplate sealing surface looks like someone cut it with a fucking BAND SAW.

Just use those cookie wheels to clean up head surfaces. The 80 grit ones. Posted Image

Heh, how much you want to be someone has tried that?

I installed a set of head gaskets today on a 6.0L (fun thing to do after raking your lawn out) and I saw the link to the video... no can see! I have trouble with most of the video on Ford's web site.

It doesn't show some winkie actually doing it from what I saw, you just see the pages out of the shop manual and some really excellent 80's style special effects.

That's all of the video I could stomach.

I refer to my post in parts... From Cummins do as I say not as I do...If there is a warranty claim...REJECTED...You didn't do as instructed with approved procedures...MY TAKE ON THIS...BULL%^$#...!!!!

I believe we all have been around long enough and worked with all of these different materials to know what's right and what's wrong...

I could see this being a training tool to a 16 year old kid, but come on...

If the surface is wrong out of the factory and cause leaks then they should be thanking us for finding the cause and the fix...

They should pay for a little extra effort to get these trucks back on the road...