Toyota Tacoma recall

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Anyone heard about the new Taco recall for rusted frames? This time around there not buying the trucks back. Instead they are having the dealers replace the frame assy. You get a frame, all brake lines, fuel lines, control arms, proportioning valve, and some other new stuff. And the labor time..... 60 frickin hours !!!

I would do every one I could get my hands on if I were a Yota tech.

American steel, huh? Grampy Jim might remember domestic vehicles rusting on the lot....? GM made G-bodies (malibu, monte carlo, cutlass) out of American steel, and what happens to their rear frames? It's all in the design, says I. In the last 30-40 years it's been nothing but recycled tuna cans anyways, no matter where it comes from. I watched that show Tank Overhaul once, they rebuilt a Sherman tank out of two former target practice victims. They cut the turrets in half and welded the two good halves together, and the welder was crapping himself about the quality of steel that it was made out of. Now think: How much good steel is now gone, having been sunk to the bottom of the sea during various submarine attacks or shipping disasters?

I'm all out of words, gonna crawl back into my hole.

At 60 hours a pop, two guys could crank a fuckload of those out in a week, tag-teaming them. Holy shit... I betcha two guys could do one a day. Look at how long it takes to get a 6.0 cab off! Then just swap drivetrain over (NO time at all) and the box.

My cousin was lucky enogh to get the cash instead at the time.They gave him $17000 if he would trade for another Toyota.They called him up for an inspection, took his truck off the road on the spot , got into a rental and three dyas later drove off with a new one.He his still laughing at it.

I know alot of the guys at our local toyota store and it was explained to me that yota was going above and beyond with the labor time so techs would want to do the job and do it correctly. I saw the instructions they sent with the kit and it's like 30 pages long with torque specs for every single bolt.