No start hot...

Rate this topic

Working on an early build 04... Customer states poor performance, stalls, no restart.... of course he is busy using his crescent wrench to find red herrings....

It was running out front when I got it (thankfully). Took it for a spin and it ran NICE... Back in the bay, I shut it off and scanned codes.... P0299 along with a CKP and CMP code... Like I haven't seen that before. Tried to initiate a KOER... wont start. Tried a buzz test... "Conditions not met...."... That was with PDS.. tried with WDS, same sad story. It was late so I went for dinner with my loving bride. Back in this AM.... Unit starts easily and absolutely purrs..... still can't do the buzz test.

Of course we ALL know how much help "lukewarm" line is.....

FWIW, monitored all the "no start" cranking PIDs... this engine should run.

I can do KOEO and KOER (if I let it cool down to start). I can't inititate the buzz test warm r cold....

The only codes I did retrieve where the P0299, P2614 (?) and p2617(?)... I'm unsure exactly of the last two but they were CKP and CMP codes.

During the no start, FICM powers look good, ICP volts and pressure are where they need to be, FICM sync is "yes" and FuelPW is a tad over 2ms. This thing had a new EGR and a reflash about 2 weeks ago... by another tech.

Of course, lukewarm line comes up with the usual "try a known good....". Unfortunately, the only "known good" PCM I really want to try is a new one... and we know how much of that Ford will pay for...

Those codes are open circuit codes for the crank and camshaft position sensors. They could be an indication of a wiring or module concern however whenever you see them together, it's usually the result of a stalling event or a really rough idle. Simply put, they are the result of your problem, not the cause. If I recall correctly, even the pinpoint tests for those codes suggests this if they are received together.

The sensor in the left side of the block is the camshaft position sensor. The crank sensor is above the A/C compressor on the right side.

I dunno, usually then things get really wacky like this, it always seems to be a module concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... let me back up a square... the CMP and CKP codes I pretty much ignored... I chalked them up to the stalling concern as a symptom rather than a cause....

I've already gotten used to the SEIC mod for guys with engine or PTO driven acessories (I suppose it would have helped if I hadn't been so frustrated and remembered to mention the work body and air compressor) so I had a brain fart. I decided to check the connection at the pedal and discovered an aftermarket high idler which I promptly disconnected.

By this time, of course, I had a lot of stuff ripped off the top of the engine... including that @*&%#&* scroll air compressor. So, I forged ahead with looking for wire chaffe issues. To mount the compressor, the GPCM had to be moved.... to move the GPCM, the injector harness had to be displaced. I found a tiny rub through on the wires to the #7 injector connector.

If the FICM detects a short in the injector harness, it wont allow the buzz test. I'm also assuming that it wont allow the truck to start even though all the no start pids look good - I'm wishing that I had thought to monitor injector fault pids, now.

Unfortunately, I finally got this truck back together late Monday night and was due at the raining centre in Edmonton first thing Tuesday AM so I had no time to "play" with any of my findings.

There is the chance that the aftermarket idle up figured into the deal.... I'm sure the customer will reconnect it and we'll see (though I'm going to recommend the SEIC mod).

I must have fixed this truck too good, though. I stopped by the shop on Saturday and I see the truck on a hoist with the rear diff out of it.

Naturally, the customer has several of these trucks as well as an alcohol funny car with our dealerships logo in a couple or three places... and I still have to tell the FSE what I found and try to make it look like it's warranty....

It sucks to be me....

While replying to Kevins post about the hard/no start 05, I suddenly remembered that I was in the midst of another "old timing mans" episode.

One of the things hotline didn't like about my recordings was that they felt my IPR duty cycle was "stagnant".... this was a series of engine running recordings (of course these thing wont do what you want when needed). I pulled the IPR and found debris in the screen and replaced that. At the same time, I realized that this was a late build and found that the ICP was mounted in a special elbow under the air compressor... it was 0.01 volt out of spec and I replaced it at the same time simply because it's so hard to get to.

Many lessons were learned on this one.....