'09 Escape with no power steering

Rate this topic

So I get this ticket for a 2009 Escape, 773 miles on the odometer, and the power steering provides no assist. IDS test shows no communication with the EPAS.

Look it up in the servie manual - the module is an integral part of the steering column, and contains a 12V, 65A motor used to assist the driver, and a manual rack and pinion.

Crawl under the dash - module is there, all the connectors look like they are plugged in.

One connector supplies hot at all times power and key on power. Two cavities in this big ole honkin' connector, with some nice large wires going to it. Cycling the power supply to inoperative modules has been surprisingly effective at getting them to talk on the network on these later model vehicles these days, so I reach up to disconnect the power connector.

*Snap*

Oh, that sucks...

The connector housing has broken off of the module, and is still attatched to the harness.

No wonder the module is not responding...

A close look at the setup is dissapointing. The connector housing is not secured to the module housing in any way. There are no fasteners retaining the connector housing to the circuit board. Only four surprisingly small solder tabs retain this housing. These solder tabs which, by the way, are required to carry 65 amps or more!

Now, I'm no electrical engineer, but I think I'd have designed the tabs to be a bit larger to accomodate the current. And also some sort of fastener to retain the housing to the circuit board. Or at least some sort of molding in the module case to keep the housing from moving around...

Oh, and I think I mentioned that this module is under the dash, mounted to the underside of the steering column. The power connector is directly over the clutch pedal. Sure enough, when putting my foot on the clutch, my toe is less than an inch from the connector...

Part is not stocked anywhere in the country. Referred to vendor..

Awesome...

More importantly, did you really say "Oh, that sucks." when it broke? Posted Image

I hav seen a couple now that have required replacement of the column for no EPAS.