Turbo clamps-easy removal

Rate this topic

Do you have trouble removing the turbo exhaust side clamps?

After loosening the nuts, try spraying the clamp with the Ford combustion chamber cleaner.

Within 3 min. you will hear a 'clink' and the clamp will be loose.

Really. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Penetrating oil does the same for me.... this is one of them "old timing man" things that we usually forget until we see someone struggling. Then we watch them with a BSEG on our ugly pusses until they get smart enough to ask (but not before we hear them cuss).

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the wait time... Spray the clamps down, run the nuts off and retrieve the t-bolt. Then give it a sharp rap with a dull air chisel on the turbo housing. If you're only replacing the y-pipe, rap on the y-pipe instead of the turbo.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to try this twice so far. The first time I guess I didn't get enough penetrating oil applied but the next one I covered the clamp completely. You were right, in less than three minutes it popped but not entirely. When I went to pull the turbo the clamp just came off by hand. There have been many times I had beaten this clamp with a prybar and hammer. This is a much better solution!

Thanx for sharing it with us! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rockon.gif

Speaking of turbo clamps.... how many guys turn the Y pipe clamp around when re-installing? I find this to be a real finger saver on days when Uncle Art comes to visit (you know Uncle Art... Arthur Itis?).

And what do you guys use on the EGR cooler gasket? A wipe of red silicon does it for me but if there's a better way....

And what do you guys use on the EGR cooler gasket? A wipe of red silicon does it for me but if there's a better way....

I glue those suckers on right when I take the cooler out with spray High Tack sealant. Keeps me from losing them too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

• 3 months later...

You can always tell if a truck that came from our shop with new turbo was put on by me. I always turn the y pipe clamp around. only one in the shop that does. hey ford says it's ok then i'm down.

i turn the clamp around, but have had issues with installing the reman turbos and the inlet to y pipe not lining up correctly. usually takes some cussing and creative bolt tightening to get the flanges to seat all the way.

but some berryman B12 will knock them clamps loose in a heartbeat!

You can always tell if a truck that came from our shop with new turbo was put on by me. I always turn the y pipe clamp around. only one in the shop that does. hey ford says it's ok then i'm down.

Love that tip. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif (we do the same) Chances are that I or one of my co-workers will have to get it off in the future if there is a problem. Besides that it's just easier to get at and tighten.